Texas Bill Allowing Teachers to

mrsbright

So, how does Texas plans to deal with school shootings? Why, by allowing the teachers to shoot down the students, of course.

If Texas state Rep. Dan Flynn (R) gets his way, teachers will have the right to use deadly force against students in Texas classrooms, in the near future. The Lone Star State already permits teachers to have firearms in the classroom, but H.B. 868, also known as the Teacher’s Protection Act, would authorize instructors to use “force or deadly force on school property, on a school bus, or at a school-sponsored event in defense of the educator’s person or in defense of students of the school that employs the educator.†Instructors would also have the right to use deadly force “in defense of property of the school that employs the educator.†Moreover, civil immunity would be granted to those who use deadly force, meaning they would not be liable for the injury or death of a student.

Because there is no way that could backfire, of course. Racial issues have been mentioned in the article.

Let's hope it does not pass...

missbishi

This is bad news! Firearms being permitted in a classroom is bad enough, although I supose it is justifiable, but to now basically give educators the green light to shoot to kill is terrible. There are bound to be severe repercussions should this Act be passed.

tanker

This is bad news! Firearms being permitted in a classroom is bad enough, although I supose it is justifiable, but to now basically give educators the green light to shoot to kill is terrible. There are bound to be severe repercussions should this Act be passed.

Did you know, that 50+ years ago, students where often taught how to shoot at school ? And sometimes students in the classroom would be handling guns. And how many school shootings where there 50 years ago ?

missbishi

Did you know, that 50+ years ago, students where often taught how to shoot at school ? And sometimes students in the classroom would be handling guns. And how many school shootings where there 50 years ago ?

That is interesting! Maybe by handling the guns regularly and knowing how to use them safely, all the mystery and power that kids often associate with them was taken away? Perhaps knowing that everybody knew how to use a gun properly made them seem more equal?

Rainman

Would the teachers have to take shooting lessons so they can shoot straight and kill only those they shoot at? Think of a teacher in panic mode trying to shoot a student at the back of the class who is trying to draw what he believes could be a weapon. How many others would he injure, or even kill? Though this proposal could look OK on paper, I think they should find better ways to stop school shootings because this just might end up creating more problems for everyone.

bala

Well,maybe this will make these parents teach their children what they should of learned a long time ago. Sorry but I don't feel sorry for the children nor their parents. You have to raise your children right and then they won't get into these situations.There is a right to self defense,you don't need a bill to affirm it.

Kamarsun1

This is just crazy, it's sad that we live in a society where these issues are being talked about. I thought school was about education. We have a lot of work to do to correct the mistakes, and make this a safe nation for our kids.

mrsbright

Interesting to learn about the situation fifty years ago. I think society changed a lot since then, though, and that not having the gun is not the major point of school shootings. Aggressivity, isolation, being prone to violence, these are things I'd guess impact more the situation than "the mystery of gun" ever did. I don't know. It just makes more sense. And probably once someone first did it, then other kids with mental unstability saw the "possibility" of doing it too.

Shimus

Texas keeps makes me go :confused:

One time, they seem hip and ahead of laws. And this potential law (even the thought of it, if nothing else!) will be made into a scapegoat/pariah and become a target of discussion and farcical jokes... that type of relationship. "The Kid pulled a gun, so I put him down."

The classrooms going all Walker, Texas Ranger. Something straight out of hollywood. Like it was mentioned I was even taught how to handle guns on a school trip that was mandatory for every kid to attend and it was a cabin/outing experience in the spring. It taught teamwork tell too, and nobody in my class died from gun abuse or murder. A couple died in a car crash, one overdosed. But guns were never a thing. I think it's because it's exactly it - guns were demystified.

bala

This is just crazy, it's sad that we live in a society where these issues are being talked about. I thought school was about education. We have a lot of work to do to correct the mistakes, and make this a safe nation for our kids.
Yes it is a place where you get "educated",but if children start turning uncouth and aggressive,do teachers have a way out..?
Their security and self defence too should be considered.Gone are the days when children used to be subdued and always obeyed the teacher.It is a different world now.

stevesxs9

I don't know if I could be in favor of giving firearms to all the faculty, but I am in favor of making the school system much safer for all concerned. Whether it would be more security in and around the schools, or having a few select members of the faculty carry arms. But something needs to be done to ensure the safety the children.

Kittyworker

I'm fairly sure that these teachers already that the right to protect themselves in any way against others who pose a grave and immediate threat to them. I would hope they also already have the right to protect others from those who might be trying to harm them. I'm not sure that I agree with allowing guns in schools as I just see this as being another place that the children could potentially steal the firearm from.

bala

I'm fairly sure that these teachers already that the right to protect themselves in any way against others who pose a grave and immediate threat to them. I would hope they also already have the right to protect others from those who might be trying to harm them. I'm not sure that I agree with allowing guns in schools as I just see this as being another place that the children could potentially steal the firearm from.
Lolz,do you think teachers are going to put up a gun in the open and take classes.They are allowed to have it concealed and so,there is no chance it could be stolen.Surely a foolproof technology.

Patrick

I'm not in favor of concealed weapons. While I recognise the need for self defense weapons should not be present in the same classroom as students. I think a reasonable compromise would be placing a weapon in a secure locker in the principal's office, which no students are able to access.

bala

I'm not in favor of concealed weapons. While I recognise the need for self defense weapons should not be present in the same classroom as students. I think a reasonable compromise would be placing a weapon in a secure locker in the principal's office, which no students are able to access.
Lolz,then it wouldn't come into use in times of exigency right.?
Its of no use,if you ask me personally.Somewhere near the teachers table in the classroom shd be a great idea.

GlacialDoom

There weren't this many school shootings 50 years ago because back then society was WAY different. These days, people are less and less afraid of the police and of the consequences.

Patrick

Lolz,then it wouldn't come into use in times of exigency right.?
Its of no use,if you ask me personally.Somewhere near the teachers table in the classroom shd be a great idea.

Students could try to break open the teacher's table during recess on something, in which case you would just have given a minor a gun. Perhaps not the principal's office then, but the teacher's lounge? Basically an area that is out of bounds to students, but accessible to teachers in event of emergencies.

Shimus

I still don't feel weapons of any type should be allowed on any campus or school grounds. It sets a bad precedence for the youth to be desensitized at a young age. It'll only hurt down the road.

Gelsemium

This issue is not exclusive from Texas, I mean, guns are all over the country and it's really a cultural problem. The authorities need to rethink this gun culture if they want to reverse the current state of things.

shilpa123

I do not think that this is quite safe. I am not sure that anyone could do anything about it but allowing teachers to shoot gives a very bad example to students.