The Central Park Five

Rhoda D'Ettore

Does anyone remember the case of the Central Park jogger in 1989? This story made national headlines, the woman was raped at night in the park and a group of black teens were arrested. A couple were as young as 14. Two of them spent 13 years in prison for this crime, but it was later determined a serial rapist did it.

I live in NJ, and although was very familiar with the case, I never once heard the boys were not guilty. Just recently I found a documentary entitled "The Central Park Five" which discusses the case and shows the actual videos of the confessions (that were coerced) and the parents. One of the boys who worked on the film is on twitter and is a very nice person.

Just curious, have you heard of the case, and did you know they were innocent of the crime?

Gin0710

I heard about the Central Park Five, but I don't remember hearing any details about the case or if anyone was charged or convicted. Have there been any incidents of similar crimes since that case and since they were arrested? I mean granted, if someone is being under watched by police they're going to want to keep a low profile if they caught the wrong guys.

askanison

This is why all older cases like this should be reopened and any DNA evidence should be tested. I bet there are tons of poor men and women sitting in prison that never committed a crime, but were railroaded into a confession and sentenced to hard time. It's sad that only the well publicized cases are the ones that get reopened and tested again.