Time for the riots?

lushlala

For some reason, I'm just getting a broken link, @thegrey1. So I can't read the article, but from the little you've posted; in my opinion it's parents like her who contribute towards the deterioration of modern day society. As far as I can tell, this was a wayward teen, what respect does he deserve?! What people seem to forget is that respect is earned, it's not a right! But everybody today is walking around with this massive chip on the shoulder and going on about being disrespected, when they themselves do not respect anyone or anything!

Rainman

Do they mean that showing respect would be charging the police officer with murder? A police officer's job is to protect people and if he feared that the weapon would be snatched and used against him and whoever was in the room, then he had to make a tough decision. And he did. Sure there are those who'd say, he should have shot to "disable" and that kind of thing but they've never been in life-threatening situations like this one when you have but two choices - kill or be killed.

JoanMcWench

I get immensely frustrated with things of this nature. A riot is rarely necessary nor is it effective. If you're looking to bring attention to something I can see it serving a point. If you're looking to be effective in any other way? No. I don't. Change always comes from within & when it doesn't there is little change on the horizon.

thegrey1

Hmmm...I checked the link and it's working for me. Sorry you are having trouble with it lushlala.

Sunflogun

I really don't think that riots are justifiable or that they solve something. People can make express themselves peacefully and if they do it's more likely that their arguments are heard. Nothing like not resorting to violence in my opinion.

Diane Lane

I think many these days do not understand the concepts of justice and respect. So many rail about how they've been disrespected, when they've done nothing to deserve respect, and have disrespected others. There has probably never been a court case or investigation where every party feels justice has been served. All we can ask is that the facts be examined by impartial parties, and a determination or verdict rendered. I'm not sure what the mother expects. Obviously, her child was out of control. Does she agree with him assaulting others? I'm sure if she or her son had been assaulted, she'd be the one complaining, and calling the police. I have relatives who've been in and out of the justice system, and they've gotten what they deserved. I think a large part of the problem nowadays is that families seem to expect that their loved ones who commit crimes should get off without punishment, which is not justice.

Gabe

I don't think riots achieve much, protests yes, but riots create disharmony and more segregate communities more. While riots do happen, advocating them and expecting is something that should be deterred and not encouraged. There will always be some injustice in the world, but rioting is not the answer, but to make those responsible legally accountable and prevent the same from happening again.

Peachdejour

Well, I don't ever think there is a time for a riot. We all have worked so hard to dig ourselves out an economic depression and inner cities are working even harder. Why would we even suggest such an act of violence based on a small bit of information? It's crap like this that gets innocent people hurt.

LongShot

What sounds wrong about this is how the cop pretty much just ran right into the situation. I think maybe it was more in the moment type deal. Though, he should have been a little more rational and announced he was there and have his tazer drawn. As the guy the come out and then taze him. Though, since it sounds like he pretty much ran in he was in a situation where he had to immediately make split second decisions.

You can't say that every situation where a cop shoots someone that just so happens to be black or Mexican means the cop isn't justified.

dyanmarie25

It wouldn't have happened if in the first place, the kid didn't particate with the riot. The police officer shouldn't be the one to be solely blamed for this unfortunate incident. On the other hand, the cop needs to be responsible for the death of this teenager.