To What Extent Does Personality Matter For One To Be Recruited?

Rainman

I'm interested joining the police force. Been looking around the net and came across this:
You will probably have some sort of personality test to take and you might also have to conduct an interview with a psychologist.
Does it mean that there are certain kinds of personality types who can't be cops? Can an introvert be recruited as a police officer?

JoshPosh

Banned
I'm interested joining the police force. Been looking around the net and came across this: Does it mean that there are certain kinds of personality types who can't be cops? Can an introvert be recruited as a police officer?

I am sure that they do take a psychological evaluation test before becoming a police officer.

DancingLady

I think they are probably checking to make sure that the person is mentally and emotionally stable, as that is necessary for the job. I don't think being an introvert would be a problem.

Patrick

I think the most important traits are emotional stability and being able to cope and make decisions under pressure. Being an introvert has nothing to do with either.

Peninha

I feel that personality is not very important, unless you behave like an idiot, in that case most likely you'll be excluded.

Strykstar

I guess that there are certain traits that might be a hindrance if you want to become a police officer, let's take the example of being shy about talking to strangers, a lot of your job will be talking to strangers so that would be a huge disadvantage.

Profit5500

If you are assertive and completely honest about yourself then be a police officer. If you are wimpy then your chances of being a police officer are slim. If you are big and strong like a bodybuilder then you have the physical portion in being a police officer.

Strykstar

If you are assertive and completely honest about yourself then be a police officer. If you are wimpy then your chances of being a police officer are slim. If you are big and strong like a bodybuilder then you have the physical portion in being a police officer.

There really is a physical portion and a mental portion to being a police officer, both are needed to really excel, but do you think that it's possible to be recruited by having just one? Or is one of them an absolute necessity?

mimsee

Well, in my city there are a TON of really fat cops..like morbidly obese. I feel like some departments may be more lenient as far as their physical exams go? Because I can name three officers by name who are at least 300+ pounds and would have a VERY hard time chasing down a criminal.

Patrick

There really is a physical portion and a mental portion to being a police officer, both are needed to really excel, but do you think that it's possible to be recruited by having just one? Or is one of them an absolute necessity?

I suppose a less physically fit police officer could be suited for less demanding roles like traffic or office administration. It would be dangerous for the officer himself, and for the security of the community, if he were deployed in more demanding roles.

Peninha

I feel that a good personality is important, but I don't see it as something determinant to make it as a police.

I would say that personality does matter. For example, an introvert would have trouble fully co-operating with the rest of his team, he would also probably be reluctant to talk to strangers, which would be a huge hindrance. On the other hand, highly extroverted people might also be problematic for the role, because they might be too expressive, etc.

However, at the end of the day, each individual is different and should be individually assessed to see if he is fit and capable for the job.

dolittle94

I am certainly not a police officer, but I do think that personality is an important factor that should be considered in recruitment, if not focused on. The community needs people on the police force that they can place their trust in, feel safe with, rely upon, and someone who can be looked at as a kind of friendly neighbor. If some is recruited and they have a horrible superior attitude, harsh deposition, and waves off people 'small problems' because he's looking for a promotion instead and actually 'serving and protecting' then the community will not depend upon the police to help them. That is when matters are taken into peoples' own hands and then someone winds up hurt or dead. It may not seem like a big deal, but it really is.

Gin0710

I don't think I'd make it. I'm too sensitive. Though something like this could toughen me up a bit, but it would be hard.

Determined2014

I believe that there are some personalities that could disqualify one from joining the force, can you imagine if you had multiple personalities, or you just did not care about anything, I doubt they can trust you with a gun out there, and that is why there has to be an interveiw with a psychologist, just for safety.

primalclaws1974

Interesting question. I have meant plenty of police with bad dispositions. I assumed that most got that way from years on the job. They have to deal with dredges of society, and see all the worst in humankind. I would think an introvert would have to show he/she could take command, be authoritative, or even aggressive at times. You can't undo who you are, but you can behave differently at work than at home.