Turning off my light bar on a traffic stop

ArtGlauson

Just curious what all of you think. I used to leave my light bar on throughout a traffic stop. Now I usually turn them off as soon as I make the stop and leave my flashers on because it seems like people get distracted when they see the lights and makes them more likely to cause an accident.

TheHammer

I always turn mine off. Anyone who is impaired has a difficult time dealing with the lights, last thing I want to do is distract them even more than they already are. People also have a tendency to slow down when the light bar is active and people behind them may not be paying attention to them making it more likely they are going to get into a fender bender.

TonysToys

Rear arrow stick on, flashers and the lower deck lights on. Light Bars are like the "Bug Zappers" for drunk people.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
You really have to find out what the requirements are by your department. In some cases you may find some liability issues if you are not well lit and you are involved in an accident. You are probably covered if you have your factory lights on and flashers but again I would make sure just incase.