Unruly well known neighbors & officers who advise against reports/charges?

pandabear1991

Not that I have been into trouble, but I do currently have unruly neighbors who are "well known" for their way of living. Cooking meth, selling/buying pills, animal cruelty, domestic violence, children selling at school... I live in a small town of just over 3,000 people. There is a police station and sheriff department, but the sheriff department handles our jurisdiction.

I recently had to make a report (not the first or last one) about their 17 year old daughter. She had left her 6 year old brother outside, unsupervised. The child was yelling across the street at my son, in which they are not allowed to communicate any more due to previous issues. So, I moved my son to the back of the yard, out of sight, to keep him from being yelled at. Next thing I know, the 17 year old daughter is on the front porch yelling at me.

I am assuming the boy went inside crying because we were ignoring him (not the first time). After she cursed me for a few minutes with her two girlfriends who were also standing with her. I called an officer to make a report. The responding officers took 45 minutes (10 minutes away from the station and 4 on duty) to respond and also contacted the parents before responding, so they would not have to do anything with the 17 year old. The officers (3 cars, 3 officers) also advised me against making a report/pressing charges, because I was causing problems for the family and they would just find a way to press charges against me.

After talking to the judge the next morning, I filed my report and pressed charges. The judge literally told me "Don't worry about your neighbors. They are known scum. They are in and out of this system every 6 months and can get the money they need for whatever. They clean up for a little while and go right back to their habits. Steer clear, and keep taking your videos when outside of your house." he also advised me to make my reports and was not sure why the officers tried to tell me differently.

Why were the responding officers siding/protecting the well-known-neighbors? It was the first time ANY of these officers had responded to my call. But at the same time, I feel as if I am missing something.

JoanMcWench

It doesn't seem like they're siding with these people. It kind of seems like they've given up. Which might be worse than siding with them. Have you tried speaking to someone with any authority at that house? Maybe more vinegar than honey?

But to be honest, I'm not the kind of person to take the nice approach. I'm more like the iron fist type person. It feels like they're putting you in a situation where you are not welcome in your own home.

pandabear1991

@JoanMcWench You make a valid point. Possibility that authority has given up sounds very likely. As far as talking to someone with authority in the house...

This whole mess got started over me asking them to keep their dogs out of my fenced in yard. We were "okay" neighbors for the first 2 months. I would help them look for their son when he couldn't be found (often found asleep in closets), their son came over to my house unsupervised daily (the parents hadn't even been inside my home to check ME out), and I ignored the fact that their dogs were destroying my fence/gates, forcing their way in to my yard. I am not allowed animals, as I am renting. I love animals, which is why I cared less that they were actually in my yard. But one day, I noticed holes in my front and back yard. The very next day, I caught the culprits (2 of their dogs) red-pawed, but was only able to catch one on camera. I placed the dogs out of my fence, but it really did no good as they already ruined parts of it just to get in.

I went next door twice to address the issue kindly with the "disabled dad," who to my surprise, was not home- or just didn't answer the door. So I waited for the woman of the house to come home (she went some where for a few short hours daily in their only car) and caught her as she was pulling bags from her trunk. I was nice, just wanted to talk about the problem. She didn't even let me show her, first thing out of her mouth (and hatefull as can be) "You need to talk to my husband! They are his dogs." I explained to her that I had tried and no one would answer the door. That's when she cursed me, told me to get the f**** off her property and not to worry about their dogs. I respected her wishes and left, but due to the fact that she had verbally trespassed me, I had HUGE holes in my yard, and I could not keep the dogs out, I filed a police report that night.

The next morning was awful. Their daughter and son got on at the same place, the bus runs right in front of our house (which since this day we have voluntarily met a different bus further up the road). Of course my son had no idea what had happened, he didn't need to know. But the other boy did, and he was out there with no one- the girl was inside getting high with the dad (which is a usual thing). The boy instantly started bullying my son, "I know what your mom did-" of course my husband and I are both standing there with him, like we do every morning. We ignored him, told my son to do the same, but the bullying progressed and I looked at the boy and calmly said "you do not need to talk to him." He ran inside crying, who knows what he said.

Next thing I know, the dad (in his underwear) and the girl are out there calling me every name in the book- right in front of the kids and continued to do so as the bus pulled up. He accused me of bringing the kids into it? But of course, his dogs were in my yard at this point, as usual. So I looked at my husband, pointed to the dogs and said "Lets go, they had their warning. I am not putting up with this!" When I made my report the night before, the officers explained to them that just because we do not have a leash law in our county, does not mean I cannot do what I want with dogs that are on my property. At this point, the dad (still in his underwear) came out to the street begging us to let his dogs go, trying to apologize for his wife- begging me for a friendship because his son didn't have anyone to play with and he didn't want to go back to prison. I declined, with good reason. Things have been worst ever since.

We do go to court next week, but I am sure it will go to trial. The neighbors pressed charges against me for "simple assault," because I pressed charges against them for "disturbing the peace" last month. The day I tried to press charges against the girl for harassment (which is what I originally posted about), the parents were arrested for the charges I had pressed, after they came home to keep me from pressing charges against their daughter. Many of their 5-times-a-day pill/meth buyers would sit in my neighbors driveway blaring their music at all hours of the morning and night. And believe me, they would stay out there doing it for a good 20-45 minutes at a time.

At this point, their land owner has informed them that if they get into anymore trouble, they will have to move. So you are probably right, they want us to feel uncomfortable so we will move and let them be. I just hope court goes well, and that it will show them that they cannot bully everyone into what they want. It will also be my last warning about the dogs. They have done nothing to keep the dogs out, except get a new puppy that is scratching up my glass and screen doors, and keeps us up howling on our front porch, when it cannot go inside their house on rainy or cold nights (none of the dogs have dog houses).

Attachments

• nickers.jpg
    nickers.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 50
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 42

Profit5500

Not that I have been into trouble, but I do currently have unruly neighbors who are "well known" for their way of living. Cooking meth, selling/buying pills, animal cruelty, domestic violence, children selling at school... I live in a small town of just over 3,000 people. There is a police station and sheriff department, but the sheriff department handles our jurisdiction.

I recently had to make a report (not the first or last one) about their 17 year old daughter. She had left her 6 year old brother outside, unsupervised. The child was yelling across the street at my son, in which they are not allowed to communicate any more due to previous issues. So, I moved my son to the back of the yard, out of sight, to keep him from being yelled at. Next thing I know, the 17 year old daughter is on the front porch yelling at me.

I am assuming the boy went inside crying because we were ignoring him (not the first time). After she cursed me for a few minutes with her two girlfriends who were also standing with her. I called an officer to make a report. The responding officers took 45 minutes (10 minutes away from the station and 4 on duty) to respond and also contacted the parents before responding, so they would not have to do anything with the 17 year old. The officers (3 cars, 3 officers) also advised me against making a report/pressing charges, because I was causing problems for the family and they would just find a way to press charges against me.

After talking to the judge the next morning, I filed my report and pressed charges. The judge literally told me "Don't worry about your neighbors. They are known scum. They are in and out of this system every 6 months and can get the money they need for whatever. They clean up for a little while and go right back to their habits. Steer clear, and keep taking your videos when outside of your house." he also advised me to make my reports and was not sure why the officers tried to tell me differently.

Why were the responding officers siding/protecting the well-known-neighbors? It was the first time ANY of these officers had responded to my call. But at the same time, I feel as if I am missing something.
Like what JoanMcWench is saying the officers had to have been around that house enough times to where they do not want to do anything else. I think that the officers should still have done something to keep this family of people from bothering you.

pandabear1991

@Profit5500 I completely agree. But at the same time, unless the neighbors are caught in the act of doing it by the officers, there is nothing they can do. However, once we go to court things may change. I will be doing my best to ensure some kind of court order to keep them off of my property (for when they come to get there dogs) and also continue with the harassment/verbal assault charges. I do not like the feeling of being bullied on my own property, simply because I do not agree with my neighbor's lifestyle. The fact that their kids are so involved does make me want to move--they cannot help what they are being taught, and I can do nothing about it.

ally79

Pandabear I am so sorry for what you are going through. We have a similar issue with our neighbors but we are homeowners and they are the renters. I call the cops when I have to, but for the most part I know that it is a waste of my time and that of the officers on duty. The people who live in the house sell their meth, I pray they aren't manufacturing it in the house, and then they turn around and snitch on the people who buy it. Hopefully one of these days they will just move out!

Rosyrain

Sometimes officer just kind of throw up their hands and give up when they have had to deal with someone for so long and it seems that nothing ever happens to that person in the end. Like they arrest the same person each week and the person just keeps getting out and off the hook each and every time. It is not the right way to handle the situation , but police are human beings too. I think you should just keep reporting them and eventually the justice system will get sick if it and lock them up for a while. It is sad that there are kids involved.

pandabear1991

Pandabear I am so sorry for what you are going through. We have a similar issue with our neighbors but we are homeowners and they are the renters. I call the cops when I have to, but for the most part I know that it is a waste of my time and that of the officers on duty. The people who live in the house sell their meth, I pray they aren't manufacturing it in the house, and then they turn around and snitch on the people who buy it. Hopefully one of these days they will just move out!

I suppose that is all one can do when there is really nothing no one else can do--prayer, and lots of it. Especially for the children. It just makes me wonder where the real justice is though? When we make these reports of high traffic and such, and everyone knows who they are, why not find a way to enforce/court order what they do. But then again, all they would have to do is move into a new jurisdiction to get away. I sincerely feel that there could be a better way for these sorts. Why in the world social workers don't get involved and stay involved while these people who claim government benefits is beyond me.

pandabear1991

It is very sad that kids are involved. In my home town, kids were taken away from parents and fostered/adopted when parents couldn't stay cleaned up. I live almost 60 miles away from my hometown, except in a different state and this is the worst difference I have seen so far. Apparently they have money to keep hiring an attorney and doing what they want. I am thinking more along the lines of family who works in the system. This is a town of only 3000+-, and everyone knows everyone... they also know when you are not from around here.

Profit5500

@Profit5500 I completely agree. But at the same time, unless the neighbors are caught in the act of doing it by the officers, there is nothing they can do. However, once we go to court things may change. I will not be doing my best to ensure some kind of court order to keep them off of my property (for when they come to get there dogs) and also continue with the harassment/verbal assault charges. I do not like the feeling of being bullied on my own property, simply because I do not agree with my neighbor's lifestyle. The fact that their kids are so involved does make me want to move--they cannot help what they are being taught, and I can do nothing about it.
You just have to hope that once you go to court things would not become more severe for you. The people could end up retaliating against you for the court notice.

pandabear1991

@Proffit5500 They have already tried. Instead of pressing charges for the more serious things, I ended pressing charges against them for disturbing the peace. My Husband was working night shift and my neighbors were very well aware. They have a lot of traffic that comes in day and night, and they love to blare their music--1AM to 5AM are their favorite times. I have been able to over look this, but when my husband sleeps throughout the day and their traffic comes in so loud its causing my bedroom mirror to rattle, there is a problem. Not to mention they would do it for almost 30 minutes at a time, 3 times during the day alone.

I tried to be nice and have an officer talk to them about the issue for me, since we don't get along, and all they have done in return is have ALL of their traffic turn up their music when they come by. We have often been woken up in the middle of the night from their car being locked like 10 times in a row, followed by a car alarm. They are trying to press charges for "simple assault" against me. According to a responding officer, they are also trying to get evidence of harassment (good luck with that).

I am hoping that the fact that my record is clean will help me clear my name. I have never been arrested for anything (until I had to turn myself in for the "simple assault"), and I am very tired of feeling trapped inside my home. Anytime I walk outside, my neighbors find some reason to come out and start saying mean things, just loud enough for us to hear. We simply just ignore. They are now trying to rile us up so they can record a reaction, but I am not stupid, and it's not what this was about in the first place.