USPS security breach

Rhoda D'Ettore

Recently the USPS admitted their computers were compromised. It is quite possible the employee's records, social security numbers, bank account numbers and other contact information has been leaked. This affects every employee from the Post Master General to the temporary employee. To offset any problems, the USPS is providing one free year of credit monitoring for all employees.

Do you think this type of thing is something we need to get used to, or are there ways to prevent hackers from getting info?

Gelsemium

No way we need to get used to this, the information has to be safe, but for sure that security breaches will continue to happen because no system is 100% safe.

Patrick

We might have to get used to data breaches happening, but we cannot hence see it as acceptable or unavoidable. We must place more emphasis on protecting and securing data, in this day and age information is extremely valuable and could be used for many serious crimes like blackmail, extortion, identity theft etc.

DancingLady

What goes into a computer connected to the internet is hackable. There is really no way around that. We should have to get used to that, but I think it's the reality of our situation at this point. I personally try not to do much online that involves personal information, to reduce the risks as much as possible. I don't bank online for instance. There's nothing you can do if your employer puts your personal information in a hackable system though.

pattycake

Recently the USPS admitted their computers were compromised. It is quite possible the employee's records, social security numbers, bank account numbers and other contact information has been leaked. This affects every employee from the Post Master General to the temporary employee. To offset any problems, the USPS is providing one free year of credit monitoring for all employees.

Do you think this type of thing is something we need to get used to, or are there ways to prevent hackers from getting info?

It's sometimes difficult to distinguish fact from fiction, especially when a new company is trying to create a demand for their service, but we can never get used to exposure, so there must always be a means to block hacking.

Determined2014

I think this days it is hard to prevent hackers, they have become so many, with different styles and ways of hacking into people private files, I think we should live life accepting the possibility of hackers getting into our files.

shreklock

I think this days it is hard to prevent hackers, they have become so many, with different styles and ways of hacking into people private files, I think we should live life accepting the possibility of hackers getting into our files.
Of course, but that doesn't mean that companies should give up on protecting themselves. They should invest more in IT, because without it world is rough.

DancingLady

They do need to continue to do their very best to protect data, but I think one of the biggest things they could do is not use so many digital files. I don't know why exactly they need to do everything on the computer when there is a security issue involved. Other countries are going back to paper with their sensitive data, why are we so slow to figure this out?

megankl

I don't know what has been going on lately with all the security breaches in the world but it is getting just a little bit ridiculous eh? I am scared now to be giving my information to companies I should be able to trust in fear that it will get into the wrong hands. I hate what the world is coming to.