Video: Philly Shooting: Police Officer Shot in Head, Killed Inside Game Store |VIDEO

Onthemark

• Officer Died Following Shooting Inside North Philadelphia Game Stop. Philadelphia Police Officer, Robert Wilson III, died following attempted robbery around 4:40 pm on Thursday inside of Game Stop located on the 2100 block of Lehigh St.Officer Damian Stephenson from the 22nd District were inside the store checking in when two male suspects announced they were going to rob the store. The officers engaged the suspects who continued to fire at them. Officer Wilson continued to fire until he was fatally struck in the head.He was rushed Temple University Hospital's trauma unit by fellow officers. A suspect was also wounded from gunfire and taken to Einstein Hospital.Two suspects are now in custody. A source tells us witnesses are also being questioned by police at the Homicide Unit. Responding officers recovered two weapons from the scene. Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter stated. Too many times individuals engage in aggressive activity with people who already put their lives on the line each and every day."The Philadelphia Police Department tweeted about the incident late Thursday afternoon saying, "Prayers for our officer - Philadelphia's officer - who was shot while protecting all of us."Commissioner Charles Ramsey, red-eyed as he spoke at an evening news conference, said he had met the 30-year-old Wilson and his partner when they took part in a recent pilot program in which officers wore body cameras. "I knew him, had met him. He was one of the best police officers this city has to offer, period," Ramsey said, standing beside the mayor, the district attorney and other city officials.Officer Wilson leaves behind a family with a one year old child and a nine year old child. "He was a brave individual," said Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey. "Say a prayer for Officer Wilson's family."Wilson was an eight-year veteran of the department. "Our thoughts are with the officer," said Joey Mooring, director of public relations at the Texas-based GameStop.video footage caught on tape cellphone camera surveillance raw dash cam air live tv share comment like most popular speech

Patrick

Re: Video: Philly Shooting: Police Officer Shot in Head, Killed Inside Game Store |VI

This is really tragic. My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

dyanmarie25

Re: Video: Philly Shooting: Police Officer Shot in Head, Killed Inside Game Store |VI

I salute this police officer for sacrificing his own life for him to be able to protect other people.

Gabe

Guns are too readily available for these incidents to happen. They do need stricter laws and people that cry out for their freedom to have one, if it was a member of your family shot because someone could get a gun easily that would make them think twice. The percentage of gun related crimes and deaths are so high in the US it's obviously an issue and one that hasn't been addressed. Here in the UK there are crimes with guns, but very few compared to the US that seems to have multiple incidents every day.

May102014

This is a tragedy. There are no other words around it. I read the news story shortly after the incident happened a few days ago. The officer was only 30 and had a 9 year old son and I believe a 1 year old child too. It's sad because he made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure a safe community. The men who killed him will be held 100% accountable and receive a fair and just punishment for senselessly taking this man's life. There's no excuse at all.