Wake deputy's beating was a gang hit

Anthony

Super Moderator

Four men have been charged with ambushing a Wake County deputy while he attended a kid's birthday party in February.

Assistant District Attorney Katie Pomeroy told the court Monday the deputy was attacked by "validated gang members." "This is a gang assault on a law enforcement officer and should be punished accordingly," she said.

Gabriel Moreno, 39, Delfino Alejo, 27, Remi Nambo, 27, and Miguel Angel Moreno, 25, were each charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and malicious assault in secret.

Pomeroy said the Wake County deputy was at the Panther Branch Community Center. He was there for a birthday party when Gabriel Moreno asked to talk to him outside. Pomeroy said when they stepped outside, the other three men and Moreno jumped the deputy.

"They hit him, knocked him down to the ground, just started beating him," Sheriff Donnie Harrison said.

Police are not sure why the four men targeted the deputy.

Moreno told the judge it was a "spontaneous decision" to attack the deputy. "I'm sorry for what I did. I wish I could take it back, but I can't," Moreno said in court. "Hopefully, you all can forgive me for what I did." However Judge Graham A. Shirley disagreed, "I have a hard time finding this is a spontaneous act," he said.

Gabriel Moreno and Alejo was sentenced to 33 to 52 months in jail. Miguel Moreno was sentenced to 29 to 47 months. Nambo was sentenced to 25 to 42 months.

"They're a bunch of cowards, and they should be in jail for a long time," said Sheriff.

The Wake County deputy identity was kept confidential to protect his undercover work.

Attachments

• deputy-attack-mugs.jpg
    deputy-attack-mugs.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 841
Last edited: