Waze and the Police

timelord731

I heard from a friend today that some local police officers are suing the crowdsourcing traffic app Waze. Does anybody happen to know why?

tanker

This is just a new twist on the CB radio thing back in the 1980s, when amature radio operators would radio the location of cops. Google can be requested to take it down. The site itself can be sued, but the police will lose, it violates free speech, they tried the same thing against CB radio operators. Or the site can just host itself in a location like Russia etc. The lawsuit will make the site more popular.

GlacialDoom

This is just their plan to be able to get more ticket money from people. It's disgusting really, but then again, it has happened before with CB radios, so it wouldn't be the first time they would do this.

Patrick

Sadly I think that Google will probably comply in the face of legal action, than risk money in a lawsuit even if the odds are against the police union.

shilpa123

I do believe it is quite for the safety that the police is asking the Google to take down the app. I do think it is a great move.

Shimus

Sadly I think that Google will probably comply in the face of legal action, than risk money in a lawsuit even if the odds are against the police union.

This is exactly why I feel they Won't comply. It violates free speech and Google now has so much money it could own half the world. A lawsuit wouldn't matter. But then again Google is always "morally right" and might take it down just to be considered "A help"

Interesting base article though, never heard of Waze before this.

Peachdejour

I personally think the idea of people posting police officers in Waze makes the streets safer. The thing is that people often post up that police are in places where they are not just to get the social points and then everyone slows down in that area and drives safer. I think Waze should be commended for crowdsourcing safer roads.