Weapons

vinceasneed

There is a lot debate about whether police need the gear that they have. After the killing of Michael Brown, the question has come up if they need tactical gear. Many people say they do not. My concern is that if we take it away and then we have a disaster here, it would be hard to get that gear back in the hands of the police. But I can see both sides of the argument. I just hope that we consider all options before a decision is made out of emotion instead of reason.

LitoLawless

I think that in the world that we live in today, the weapons are an essential part of our law enforcement. I think that there are people that would automatically take advantage of things like that. I also think that there should be consequences over how and when police use these firearms, especially if there were still other options that could have been taken.

missbishi

If the general public are allowed to carry guns then the police should certainly be able to carry them too. In my country, gun ownership is strictly regulated and you cannot carry them about with you. Because of this, there is very little risk of getting shot and therefore our police don't carry arms.

Shimus

Cops need guns. If not even loaded, as a deterrent. When you see a holstered pistol or firearm, you're definitely more likely to listen to them then if they only had a baton or mace/pepper spray. This is because we've became so desensitized to weaponry that everyone owns some type of firearm or bladed weapon anymore these days. And without armed resistance, people on the "lawbreaking" side would definitely have an upper hand. At the very least give them a "Taser" for people who turn to run.

shilpa123

Cops always need gun. There are various reasons for it. They need it for themselves as well as protection.

tanker

The attitude of the police has changed over the last 30+ years. Now days younger cops have too much of a gung ho attitude. Most of these incidents always happen with younger cops. An older cop knows that a weapon should only be used as a last resort and usually attempts to defuse the situation first.

Shimus

Most of these incidents always happen with younger cops. An older cop knows that a weapon should only be used as a last resort and usually attempts to defuse the situation first.

This is the truth of it all. They should all just be used as a deterrent - a magic wand you can wave and it averts crises and situations. It's not to be used as it's proper self; a firearm. It's symbolic really. Don't use it unless in cases of self-defense as my teacher always said.

GemmaRowlands

I think that we should be doing everything that we can in order to protect the officers who are on the streets, so certainly they should be given the option of using any equipment that they have been trained with. But it is the training that is the most important part of this, in my opinion. They need to be taught exactly when the equipment should be used, and when different tactics might be more effective to get the results that are sought. People may get harmed, which is always a risk with weapons being involved, but you simply have to try and weigh up the positive and negative points of doing it, and make sure that there is as much training as possible.

JoanMcWench

I'd rather they have tactical gear than to be in fear of doing their jobs because they know the people on the street have access to guns they themselves cannot use. Would it be nice if they walked around with only a stun gun or baton? Sure, but in America I don't see that happening when the guy slinging on the corner is carrying an Uzi.

Rainman

It's a shame that police has been militarized in some places. Police don't need military equipment. What do cops need tanks and grenade launchers for? They are not waging war against those they are sworn to serve and protect. So if it's the fancy new equipment then it should be taken away. But their standard weapons? Well they need those since the criminals they'll be arresting will be armed.

Profit5500

There is a lot debate about whether police need the gear that they have. After the killing of Michael Brown, the question has come up if they need tactical gear. Many people say they do not. My concern is that if we take it away and then we have a disaster here, it would be hard to get that gear back in the hands of the police. But I can see both sides of the argument. I just hope that we consider all options before a decision is made out of emotion instead of reason.
The people who say they do not need that gear have not stepped foot in the world of law enforcement. The police need to have as much gear as they muster so the odds are in their favor. If the police were be in a situation where they are the ones out gunned since they do not have the tactical gears then they would be killed.