What age do you think is right for a child to receive a cell phone?

Lizel

I remember that I got mine when I was around 7 years old it was for my birthday and I think that around 8-9 is an adequate age to give your child a cell phone.

Onionman

That's a difficult one. I would probably say aged 10, but I think it depends on circumstances and maturity of the child. I'd rather a child live in the same world that I grew up experiencing - no phone and no drama. But that's not really going to happen any more.

JoanMcWench

Here's what I've done with my son:

My son is 12. Every child he knows owns a phone that looks better than most of their parents phones. So, he approaches me one day & makes 'valid' points to get him that phone. I agree. He had a great case. Everyone else has one, what if I need to find him (*cough* bull *cough), he needs a way to contact emergency services, etc.
I go online & I find the cheapest & oldest phone I possibly could. I give it to my son while simultaneously complimenting his convincing me & how he should become a lawyer. I lay it on THICK. The confusion in his face was priceless. I made sure to put my number on speed dial so I could find him whenever I needed.

Josie

It depends on the child. Thinking back to my childhood, my parents never knew where I was. I bet they wish we had cell phones back in the day instead of calling around the entire city looking for me lol.

It's a great convenience for the safety of our kids these days. And, of course, it has it's disadvantages. I find though, if you raise your children with respect and trust and arm them with the tools to handle the pitfalls of social media etc.. then what do we really have to worry about? I know my kids have always been mature enough to handle it.. they know about online bullying, preditors, respecting others, privacy etc etc.. because I took the time. If someone doesn't raise a child to be responsible and just throws a cell phone their way, then no.. I don't agree with that. But it's still a great way to stay connected with the child when they aren't home, so it's not so black and white.

Gelsemium

I think a kid should get a cell phone when there is need for it, so even if it depends a little on the situation I say between 9 and 12 or something like that, not before.

Patrick

I think it should wait until the child is at least twelve. Not only are young children with smartphones susceptible to robbery, spending their time glued to the screen from a younger age might affect their cognitive/social development and their eyesight. As parents should generally be keeping a close eye on children until approximately the age of ten to twelve there is really no need for them to own a smartphone for making calls till then.

bala

Any age,but before that they needed to briefed of cyber crime and ill effects of using a phone and how they can ward it off.All these can be understood and happen around 15 yrs,so that should be an apt time to give a cell phone.

GlacialDoom

Whenever that child is deemed responsible enough. I wouldn't give a phone to an irresponsible 14 year old, but I would give one to a 7 year old if I knew he would take good care of it. Hell, there are some adults I know who wouldn't deserve a phone, because they keep breaking theirs. How can you be so clumsy that you drop (and break!) 5 phones in 6 months?

missbishi

As long as they are responsible enough to look after it, I think children should be allowed to have cell phones as soon as they are allowed out by themselves, with no adult supervision.

shilpa123

I believe it is best to let them have a cell phone when they are going to school. It all depends on how risky the particular location is.

dyanmarie25

Cellphone is considered a necessity nowadays, and I don't have any complaints about kids having them at a young age. Cellphones could be used easily to contact their parents in case of an emergency. Moms and dads should be responsible for it though, I mean, they should supervise the contents and apps installed in their children's cellphones, only allow educational apps as they would learn something from them.

I had my first cellphone when I was 12, and it really didn't affect my studies or whatsoever. Anyway, it really depends on the mobile phone user.