What are you allowed to keep?

mrsbright

So, on some TV shows, when it comes to the FBI and big cases, they mention they cannot keep anything because it is considered "evidence". However, I saw on the news that cops are actually allowed to keep what they bust. I think there was also a funny video made by Stephen Colbert about the subject -- objects being suspects and taken, etc.

My question is simply, what are you allowed to take? Personally or even for the police department? If you are not allowed -- do you suspect some might sometimes sneak stuff?

primalclaws1974

I don't think that is true. At least I have never heard of such a thing. How could they keep anything? It would be evidence, or potential evidence. If it wasn't evidence, it's either illegal or private property. In the case there is a Federal seizure of the property, likely the house and contents would eventually go up for sale. Nothing is free.

mrsbright

After a search, it appears I got it wrong, it was not Stephen Colbert. It was "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Civil Forfeiture (HBO) " and I cannot post the link because I'm too new on the forum, but the video is available on YouTube.

Techdirt describes the video like this:

The highlights are a law enforcement official sheepishly explaining (in a public hearing) that there is really no oversight or discretion involved in the spending of seized funds. (He flat out states that it's used to buy "toys" the department "needs.") This leads directly to a police department being called out by a citizen (in another public meeting) for purchasing booze and a margarita machine with seized funds.

primalclaws1974

Seizing funds is different than what you made it sound like. Do you mean they physically find cash and keep it, or are you talking about seized bank accounts? Bank accounts would probably be done by the Federal government. I have never heard of a police department keeping anything they found in a bust, besides drugs and money as evidence. Of course, there are always the rumors that officers are dipping their hands into the drugs, but that's probably just crap-talking.

DancingLady

I don't think police are allowed to keep things for themselves. That would be totally wrong I think, like stealing someone's possessions. They keep evidence for use in court, but I think those items, if not illegal, would be returned once the trial is over in most cases.

I know cops do dip into things like pot. I think we all know about that. It's wrong and they would be in serious trouble if caught, but considering how many people illegally smoke pot, you know there are going to be those crooked ones that do it too.