What are your views on all cops having to wear a camera while on duty?

Fury

Not a cop, but I really like the idea. Seems to me that it would give the few bad cops a reason to shape up their act, and it would give good cops a bit of security in knowing that if somebody screamed foul they could prove they acted within their rights.

AnthonyM83

It's a perfect idea. I personally believe that the only cops who would be against this are those who are doing something illicit on the public's payroll. It's also a great way to find the best of the best and reward them for their service.

js85

I like the idea too. It'll take a lot of questions and doubts out of big cases. Unfortunately it won't show the full picture because there's so much that happens in the energy and heat of the moment, but it will definitely help when there's objective questions that need answering or proving.

milyjohnson

I think it would be a great idea. It would be easy to weed out the dirty cops that way. It could also help prove that criminals committed crimes since it would be on camera. I agree that the only ones with the issue with it would be dirty cops who are afraid they would get caught. Other than that, they should be all for it.

Lin

Personally I'm all for it. I think it's a great idea.

I agree with you. Recently a watched a video that a normal civilian took from a roof's vantage point wherein a cop suddenly came out of the police station, shot a man, and quickly slipped back in. If the person wasn't videoing this, the cop would have probably gotten away. Usually cops don't inform on other cops and the law enforcement are usually keen to listen to the cop's account of the situation than the civilian witness'. Well, cops are humans like all of us. They get tired and stressed at times, and do stupid things. In my country, the cops are grossly dislike because they are known to do cruel things to suspects (even those who are innocent suspects).

Lin

I think it would be a great idea. It would be easy to weed out the dirty cops that way. It could also help prove that criminals committed crimes since it would be on camera. I agree that the only ones with the issue with it would be dirty cops who are afraid they would get caught. Other than that, they should be all for it.

Indeed, we would get recordings of on the spot criminal activities that cops get called to. It benefits the cops and the criminal justice system. Cops would be less inclined to make stupid moves when they know that they are being watched.

js85

I don't know about keeping cops from doing "something stupid", but it'll help their case more often than not.

bala

With something being public record there is the stigma of that record being used against a person in a negative sense not because of guilt, but just being attached to it.For example if someone is charged with sexual assault, is innocent and is found innocent they are still hap-hazordly labeled with a very negative title
I have a ixd view on this though.

Rainman

The cameras may help a little but it's not fair to record everything a cop does, sees or says when they are on duty. There will be fewer complaints against police, fewer instances of cops using excessive force when arresting a suspect but it comes at a price too. To avoid confrontation the cop may just decide not to intervene in certain situations or do only as much as the law requires [and in the process let a criminal escape]. With the lack of privacy, I'm sure cops who'd have stepped out of line to ensure someone dangerous is arrested won't do it — criminals will have a field day.

DancingLady

I think it would clear up a lot of questions, but I'm not sure that it would be a whole lot better than the camera in the car, except that it would be more expensive I think. Maybe it's something that should be used in higher risk situations rather than all the time.

Francisco

Personally I'm all for it. I think it's a great idea.

The camera represents unquestionable evidence of any incident. It also helps to keep the officers in check. So yes, let them wear cameras. If I were a cop, I would wear one for my own good. No one is going to engage me, hurt me and not be caught on camera.

Riggy

fewer instances of cops using excessive force when arresting a suspect but it comes at a price too. To avoid confrontation the cop may just decide not to intervene in certain situations or do only as much as the law requires [and in the process let a criminal escape]. With the lack of privacy, I'm sure cops who'd have stepped out of line to ensure someone dangerous is arrested won't do it — criminals will have a field day.

This is something I did not think about what so ever actually. That's an incredibly good point. It would make sense for the officer not to want to risk their own job to save a criminal. I would assume the officer has some sort of "permission" to break some laws in order to stop the criminal depending on how bad the crime was. Very good point though, thanks for making me thinking about that one.

JoshPosh

Banned
There are eyes in the sky all the time. It could be security cameras or new highway cameras. Public areas is just that public.

I am all for cameras surveillance on Police officers. Some are abusing their power and position and need to be kept in check. In most work places, employees are filmed, and cops should be too. Why? They are civil servents and need to be kept in be held accountable for their behavior.

Profit5500

I believe with a camera on the officers uniform it would establish better credibility on the police end. This would reinforce the officers in remembering police procedure frequently. If a officer is in a shootout with a armed suspect the camera would show proof of what the officer did and who he or she were shooting. So yes the camera is a mighty benefit.

askanison

I think it would be a huge benefit not only to the officer, but for the public also. There have been studies that show officers that wear cameras have less reports of misconduct and raises in police tolerance. I think there would be much less instances of profiling and misconduct when there is a film to go back and refer to that would show clear evidence of any misconduct or show there was no misconduct. It is win win as far as I am concerned and I think it should be implemented everywhere.

Riggy

I think it would be a huge benefit not only to the officer, but for the public also. There have been studies that show officers that wear cameras have less reports of misconduct and raises in police tolerance. I think there would be much less instances of profiling and misconduct when there is a film to go back and refer to that would show clear evidence of any misconduct or show there was no misconduct. It is win win as far as I am concerned and I think it should be implemented everywhere.

Indeed, I heard about this! I really don't know why there isn't a bigger craze and demand for police wearing cameras.

People who worry about the idea of filming police forget that it is, if anything, more beneficial to police. With cameras, policemen have an unbiased source saying they did the right thing, which I'm sure is true in the majority of cases.