What can I do to be safe while running or walking outside?

LitoLawless

I think you can carry mace in a little pouch or something like that. I know plenty of people who do that while running. Another thing that you can do is take a bit of self-defense classes so you can be a little prepared if you are disarmed.

goldenmaine

That is really frightening news and it is better to have someone with you than walk or run alone outside. My sister has always been cautioned by my uncle, who is an officer, to have someone when going outside at night, like a buddy. She always does some night running since she cannot find any time but at night to exercise due to her busy school schedule. My uncle also said that if possible, to not go outside anymore and just exercise in a gym but she won’t listen so best advice was to have a buddy, preferable a guy friend or me if I am not busy too.

OGRICHBOI

If your neighborhood is not safe, then I suggest not running during the night. It would be pretty cool to dress like a ninja, but the risk is too high. If you do decide to still do it, then I suggest running with a friend. Two is always better than one. If you're neighborhood is extremely dangerous, then carry a weapon.

marcamm

Never ever jog alone especially at night, or in secluded or dark areas. Choose a livelier place such as parks. If it cannot be helped, then bring buddies with you and a large, scary-looking dog. You can also just use the treadmill so you're safe inside a gym or home. If none of these are an option, then maybe you can postpone jogging for a while and find an alternative such as the jumping rope; it's cheap and just as effective in burning calories. It's better to be safe than sorry...

JoanMcWench

I carry these when I bike or run:
20080508-stungun_blastknuckles-2.jpg

Now the legality of these blast knuckles vary from state to state (let alone country). I've found them lightweight & incredibly convenient to use. They've helped me out of certain situations I would have been quite concerned about had I not had them. I run in the morning when it's still dark & bike at night so rather helpful.

Diane Lane

I used to have severe insomnia, and would walk in the middle of the night, which would calm me down and relieve excess energy enough so that when I got home, I would go right to sleep. The police would drive through the neighborhood and we'd always wave at one another, but I live in an isolated neighborhood, so I would carry a knife and stun gun and sometimes mace with me, just in case. Around here, we have coyotes, bobcats (I've heard of cougars, too), and gators, as well as the occasional loose dog, so I figured I could handle pretty much any of those with what I carried. Many here do carry guns, but I don't like carrying heavy items when I walk.

I walk during daylight hours now, and mainly just carry a small blade with me. I keep it on my lanyard with my keys, but if I see someone acting odd, or I'm going through a section of woods, I will keep it in my hand, so I'll have better access in case I need it. I definitely recommend always being aware of your surroundings. I used to wear headphones when I walked on a local track, with many others nearby, but now I want to be as aware as possible, and want to hear if someone is approaching. I've also found that I prefer not listening to music when I walk, because I'd rather listen to the birds and other sounds, such as the fish jumping, since I walk on the local nature trails.

FuZyOn

Those look very good Joan. :d
I think I'm going to buy some blast knuckles just because I don't feel safe when I ride my bike at night.

IshieVonDyson

Oh, I love the idea of those blast knuckles but I think they’re illegal here. Ah well, so it goes.

Truth be told, I don’t take very many precautions, aside from only walking/jogging during daylight hours, and not listening to music. I should probably be more careful since I live in a somewhat remote neighborhood (mostly safe, but there have been a few unnerving moments), so this thread was a good read for me. I’ve been meaning to get my hands on a small blade for other things anyway, it might come in handy for this as well.

lushlala

Yes, I too would be interested in those, Joan. So if you don't mind, please post a link or let us know where you got yours. I'm not sure about the legality here, but I'd feel a lot safer if I had one of those on me where I am because muggings are on the rise.

I don't jog, but tend to power walk in the early evening. But as winter's creeping in, and it's getting dark earlier, I only walk if I have 1 or 2 people with me. There really is safety in numbers! I also ensure I walk in populated areas, mainly along the main road where there's a lot of traffic.

Gabe

When i used to run or go for walks I am always conscious of my surroundings. I never listen to music and always run near the curbs and away from parked vehicles. The important thing is to be sensible and not to take risks, which means walk or run in an areas where there are people or you know people will pass by. Other than that if you run in a field where you can see all around you then at least you can see if anyone is following you.

JoanMcWench

Those are amazing, Joan, do you have a link?

Yes! Here you go!
I'd make sure to get extra batteries if you intend to keep those always loaded. Good to have as back up.

Speaking again toward the legality issues: Where I am it's illegal to have them on your person. However, I have been pulled over quite a few times & in explaining myself to the officers in each case they allowed me to keep them. They also said the worst an officer can do is take them from you. I'd rather risk that then to be without them when I need them.

Diane Lane

Hmm, I'm not seeing a link :confused:. I'd love to get some. They're probably legal here, but I'll have to check. Not that it would stop me from carrying them, but getting them might be an issue. Most police understand woman having safety concerns, and as long as you're otherwise law-abiding, they will usually let things like this go. My stun gun broke, so these would be great to have.

Another safety tactic is to walk/run against the traffic. That way you can see what is coming, and it's more difficult for someone to follow you.

mairj23

Always try to be in places where others are. People will try and take advantage of people who are along. Carry some pepper spray as well, not only for bad people, but for animals. Don't go out to these places at odd times either.

Another good thing to keep in mind when running or walking is to always vary the time that you go. Don't get set on a schedule, if you routinely make it a pattern of the exact time of day that you run you will make yourself a much easier target to hit for predators. Also I would like to reinforce what some of the other posters have said about always letting someone know that you are leaving and about how long you should be gone, kind of like a flight plan. :)

Diane Lane

Yes, absolutely, and this should also extend to other circumstances. I sometimes have doubled back (when I lived elsewhere), in case someone was watching, just to throw them off track. We often get complacent about our activities, and aren't aware that there are people who will watch, not only to attack/abduct us, but also our children, and our homes/vehicles for burglaries.

oraclemay

Always carry some form of protection and never go running alone unless it is in broad daylight with many other people around. Self defense is also a good option. Be careful carrying weapons and where you carry them. If the assailant gets hold of them he may use them on you. You should also be aware that all assailants are not always male. Sometimes they work in pairs.