What do you think about law enforcement shows?

js85

I'm a big fan of all of the Criminal Minds, Castle, NCIS, Law and Order, CSI mumbo-jumbo. Don't get me wrong, I know they're completely silly, but they're just entertaining. Living the life day-to-day, what do these shows completely get wrong (besides the obvious things like zooming into a photo 500000% to pick up a finger print, or extracting photos taken with an iPod that doesn't have a camera)... and what do they get right?

GemmaRowlands

I'm a big fan of all of the Criminal Minds, Castle, NCIS, Law and Order, CSI mumbo-jumbo. Don't get me wrong, I know they're completely silly, but they're just entertaining. Living the life day-to-day, what do these shows completely get wrong (besides the obvious things like zooming into a photo 500000% to pick up a finger print, or extracting photos taken with an iPod that doesn't have a camera)... and what do they get right?

I think that they are entertaining, and believe that they can teach people valuable lessons of what might happen if you choose to break the law. Of course, there are things that are shown that are not accurate, but you will get that on almost any type of television show because of the very nature of it - it is much more concerned with the entertainment side of things than it is about actually being able to show the career for what it is really all about.

js85

Yeah of course. And they have to keep up the drama. I'm sure the stories that happen in the shows are not the same stories encountered frequently. Maybe once every so often, but not as often as in the shows. It's still fun for mindless entertainment.

Profit5500

I do like Law & Order I feel its more realistic to crime scene investigations. Not to mention I liked seeing Ice-T portray a homicide detective on TV he does well being on that show. I don't like watching CSI it was not as entertaining to me.

Trickster

Foreign shows are awesome, I often watch CSI and such shows. I enjoyed Flashpoint as well, but that one is leaning to the other side a bit - not strictly law enforcement related.

But our own shows are ridiculous. They literally became something that everyone makes fun of! It's just giving a bad rep to police officers, I think.

btatro

I agree. I find some entertaining, but obviously not so realistic. It is, neat, however, to get ideas about how things may be done, or possibly what types of things could or will be used in the future.

js85

One of my favorites is Criminal Minds. They investigate the psychology behind crimes (hence the name! ha) and it's really interesting. I've always been very interested in criminal psychology so there's always a story that intrigues me.

Whitewolf2578

I mean there are some aspects to those shows that are real. Like when they are in court and when they are doing interrogation. But you are right, there is no way that all of it is real. No way in the world there are detectives out there that are that squared away.

bala

i watch only castle in the list that you have there.I love Castle mainly for Nathan Fillion, but also for the humour and how fun it is to watch.Most shows only have chemistry between the leads, but this show works great because almost sveryone has chemistry with everyone

KrustyKrabella

My favorite law enforcement show right now is "The Killing". I'm not sure if it's on regular TV- I watch it on Netflix. Before that, the only one I really liked was "Twin Peaks". And that was a mighty long time ago!

Ricardo187

I think they are interesting and somehow use futurist technology in their episodes. Who knows in the future you can zoom a picture 500000% to take a fingerprint? Would be nice, but yeah, I think they get everything right in general, but then they make it more futurist and such. It's for entertainment.

bala

My favorite law enforcement show right now is "The Killing". I'm not sure if it's on regular TV- I watch it on Netflix. Before that, the only one I really liked was "Twin Peaks". And that was a mighty long time ago!
BINGO..Even i love twin peaks but since it was not on the list,i thought i probably shouldn't be mentioning it.
The romances, the drama, and the plot twists had all the makings of a daytime soap opera, yet when I watched it a couple of years ago, I didn't perceive it as one.

stevesxs9

I think the Writers and Producers who actually spend time with the Police, will often use storylines based on real cases. Therefore these shows tend to more accurately represent real Policing, which makes for a more believable and entertaining show.

Lin

I have a liking for these shows as well. Many persons believe however, that by watching these shows, criminals are better able to equip themselves against getting caught for the crimes that they are about to do. This may be true for some cases. But often times, there are some cases of criminal activities in which criminals are not even caught because the authorities don't even bother to dig deep forensically. I like these shows. They are intense and it shows the power of the cops and authorities to find out a criminal no matter how far they go to hide. It shows that the law is in charge. :)

milyjohnson

I love watching cop show. I like Law and Order, Rookie Blue, and Blue Bloods. They all have so much drama and a lot of interesting cases on there. I'm not sure if it is all real or not, but it seems real to me. My brother said it's not realistic, but it all looks real to me. :)

DancingLady

They can be fascinating, but most of the ones I have seen are too intense for me. I just get wound up and can't sleep, or start feeling paranoid. I did like Bones when had a TV, I just didn't look at the screen when the gross part happened but I loved the process of solving the mystery.

sharpayvargas1

If there's anything I love about them is that they usually are mind-boggling. How they manage to make the story unpredictable is just awesome. They are very informative and also teach us about many lessons in real life. However, some are exposing the job of the police officers to the extent that real criminals can study how to deal with it.