What is the average career length for an officer?

primalclaws1974

In my town we have a police force of about fifteen officers at any one time, so clearly I am only seeing a small picture, but it seems that on average most police officers are on the force less than five years before they are gone and replaced. I don't know if they are young people who decide the work isn't for them, they are fired for one reason or another, or if they transferred, but they don't remain long. I can only think of five people in my life time (40 years) that made lifelong careers out of law enforcement in my town. In that same time frame there have been about 75 cops on the force. Is this unusual?

laurelbell85

In my town we have a police force of about fifteen officers at any one time, so clearly I am only seeing a small picture, but it seems that on average most police officers are on the force less than five years before they are gone and replaced. I don't know if they are young people who decide the work isn't for them, they are fired for one reason or another, or if they transferred, but they don't remain long. I can only think of five people in my life time (40 years) that made lifelong careers out of law enforcement in my town. In that same time frame there have been about 75 cops on the force. Is this unusual?

This is a great question! I can't wait to hear the response you get from them. I know with FBI you have to retire before the age of 55 or something like that. Like, your career can only be a max of like 30 years. I think though that if you are able to properly do your job, there shouldn't be a limit.

primalclaws1974

This is a great question! I can't wait to hear the response you get from them. I know with FBI you have to retire before the age of 55 or something like that. Like, your career can only be a max of like 30 years. I think though that if you are able to properly do your job, there shouldn't be a limit.

I was unaware there was a maximum amount of years you could put into any job, let alone the FBI or other police forces. If it is true, it would stand to reason. A person who is a law-enforcer that has put thirty years in has likely seen every type of negativity that humankind can dish out. You can't just shut that off. It might start affecting your decision on the job after all that time. But maybe it is more about the physical ability to do the job. I would interested to hear from someone who actually knows if this is true, and why. Thanks.

laurelbell85

We had a few FBI agents come and speak with one of my criminal justice classes and they said retirement is mandatory when they get into their 50's! The FBI agent that spoke to us also told us that FBI agents do not live extremely long after retirement either. I learned a lot from the guy. I'm looking forward to hearing a police officer answer this or at least elaborate on this matter :)

hayrake

I imagine there is a huge turnover rate on any police force. I would think that a number of people would get involved in police work only to find out that it was not what they expected it to be--whether it would be way more than expected in some way or purely a let-down, I don't know. Maybe depends on the individual.

Perhaps, too, people get into it single (or not) and find out that it's taxing on family life. The worry it might cause could be stressful on a marriage.

I figure, also, that the police force is often a stepping stone to another career choice in law enforcement--undercover investigation, maybe. Or even politics.

And in this day and age things are tight. I know the police force where I live has been pared down considerably just because there is no money to pay more.

laurelbell85

I imagine there is a huge turnover rate on any police force. I would think that a number of people would get involved in police work only to find out that it was not what they expected it to be--whether it would be way more than expected in some way or purely a let-down, I don't know. Maybe depends on the individual.

Perhaps, too, people get into it single (or not) and find out that it's taxing on family life. The worry it might cause could be stressful on a marriage.

I figure, also, that the police force is often a stepping stone to another career choice in law enforcement--undercover investigation, maybe. Or even politics.

And in this day and age things are tight. I know the police force where I live has been pared down considerably just because there is no money to pay more.

I live in Orlando...we have so many police officers but I feel they don't do anything. People are running red lights, speeding, making illegal turns, just anything....and they just turn their head. I can imagine the turn over rate being pretty high.

I think I may need to do a lot more research on being a police officer. It isn't my ideal field, but I do want to be a prosecutor or a homicide investigator. Being an investigator requires about 3 years of being a street cop. I wonder if police let civilians go on ride alongs...

hayrake

You say there are many police officers but they just turn their heads at traffic violations which are glaringly obvious to others?

Wow.

But you said, also, that you're in Orlando, where there are a lot of different people. A lot of different kinds. Maybe the police officers are hesitant to pull people over because they don't know who they might get. Or rather, what situation they might get into. Could it be that even though it appears there are many, their numbers aren't great enough for the officers to call for back-up when they stop someone?

I rather doubt that police let civilians go for ride alongs unless they've been arrested, but I don't know that for certain.

If I were you and I had to do three years as a street cop, I would definitely think about doing it somewhere besides where you live in Orlando. Maybe you can find a position in some smaller, more rural area.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

LitoLawless

I know someone who's been a cop ever since they were in their early twenties. He's now in his mid-fifties and about to retire. It was the only job he ever had, and it's amazing to think that someone can have a job for that long. I would say that someone can be a cop for about 30-40 years.