What is the best way to make popcorn?

Krisi

I love to cook popcorn in a pot using a teaspoon of vegetable oil, lightly salt it, then give it a nice coating of chilli and lime.

Also, it is quite nice to give freshly popped popcorn a light dusting of icing sugar if you're after something sweet.

Thanks to you guys I've just researched this "flavacol" thing and wow, I wish we could get it here. Maybe I'll try import some or something.

pattycake

Has anyone tried popcorn in a pan like Jiffy Pop or whatever it is called? I don't like to use microwaves for popcorn. Does anyone own a popcorn maker? What is the best one out there? I'd love to make caramel popcorn and maybe some other wild stuff. What are some cool things to add to popcorn? Chocolate for one.

What's wrong with microwave popcorn?

Orville's Smart Pop is the way to go for me. LOL! Though i haven't tried Jiffy Pop since I was kid! And I might try making some caramel popcorn. Never made it before.

LitoLawless

I've always used the microwave. I always felt that Jiffy Pop was so old school. Recently, I've been wanting to try it though. I'm sure that it'll taste the same way that popcorn made in the microwave would taste, or maybe it would have a more movie style taste to it. I'll let you guys know once I try it.

downsouth

I really don't know of any other way except the microwave.. as long as it is loaded with butter I could care less how it is made. :)

weepforsweep

I just set the microwave to 2 minutes and let it go. Never tried a Jiffy Pop. I don't know if that will taste better or not. Putting melted butter on fresh popcorn is the best approach to the craft of popcorn making.

Rocky55119

I use Microwave most of the time...just because of how quick it is.

Alot of time I get really hard kernals, unpopped stuff, so I like to use the professional popping machines, they usually taste better and are healthier. For me I have a mini one, which I guess would be good for a police car, as a microwave is hard to set-up, compared to something you just plug into the wall to cook it.

Josie

Air popping is best. I won't buy popcorn that is covered in fats and salts and icky chemicals from a store. Air pop and add whatever you want. We make tons of pop corn for the kids, they have a huge list of flavours they've made up with their favourite spices etc.