What is the maximum penalty for jaywalking ?

Shawn

Jaywalking citations in the USA are usually very low in cost. People don't like them and they complain but some countries in Asia won't ticket you, instead they will cane you for doing it. Imagine getting 3 strokes with a cane on your bare bottom from a guy swinging it like a baseball bat?! No thanks, I will take the chump change jaywalking ticket - thank you very much!

bala

it is only a fine in most countries,because it is only a form of an infraction. I believe it is a class 4 misdemeanor, which means no jail time and a fine of $250 maximum.Arrests is only a rarity,not possible in most cases.

Ricardo187

People answered about the USA already. I can tell you at Portugal it ranges from 10 to 50 euros. First time you pay 10, second time you pay 20, third time 40, then 50. It doubles every time, up to 50.

Do you get caught at Portugal? Very rarely.

PhilA

I am sure it is an offence in the UK, but I have never seen or heard of anyone getting a ticket or even a caution for doing it.

Profit5500

Jaywalking citations in the USA are usually very low in cost. People don't like them and they complain but some countries in Asia won't ticket you, instead they will cane you for doing it. Imagine getting 3 strokes with a cane on your bare bottom from a guy swinging it like a baseball bat?! No thanks, I will take the chump change jaywalking ticket - thank you very much!
Getting a cane whacked on your butt for jaywalking sounds painful. I would have none of them since it would be better to just follow the law on crossing the street. If the ticket could go a maximum of $250 then I would pay that versus jail time.

wulfman

Yea lmao to what Shawn said. I was walking once during Christmas in India and apparently it was on the wrong side of the road although with the mob everywhere who the hell knows the difference. Anyway this screwball canes me on my calf. It hurt like hell. You can't even do anything otherwise you'll just be hit again.

Ricardo187

Yea lmao to what Shawn said. I was walking once during Christmas in India and apparently it was on the wrong side of the road although with the mob everywhere who the hell knows the difference. Anyway this screwball canes me on my calf. It hurt like hell. You can't even do anything otherwise you'll just be hit again.

It's interesting to have the story of someone who have gone through it already. I guess it's stupid and something you see in a third world country only, really.

askanison

It is a minor fine. It is what you say to the officer and how you react to being ticketed that can get you into more hot water.

I have never in my life personally received a ticket or even a warning for jay walking. Nor do I know anyone that has. I live in a larger city, and I imagine that the police here have far more important things to do besides bust jay walkers. I do understand a need for the law, but enforcing it almost seems like any punishment would be too much.