What is with the moms killing their babies?

greensat

Well as we all know, teen pregnancies rates are increasing in today's society. An early pregnancy can disrupt any normal development that a teenager can have, physically and especially mentally. Some teenagers just don't have the mental capacity that they think they would to take responsibility for a baby and eventually, they despair and just want to end it all.

hayrake

Of course they don't have the mental capacity (or the emotional ability) to look after a child. They are children themselves. The government has an idea that it can raise your kids better than you can, but what the government is doing through the public school system is producing a lot of very immature young adults. How can they, then, raise a child themselves?

jeremy2

I have seen maybe two or three stories about a mom poisoning her kid, throwing him off a bridge and God knows what else. What is wrong with moms today? Stop killing your babies and adopt them out if it is too much for you to handle. There are so many childless couples out there who would love to take care of your kid for you.
I think the reason as to why they do it is when the Father of the child neglects them and the mother is left alone to fend for the kid.Usually,the frustrated mother vents her anger on her kid usually with disastrous consequences.

LitoLawless

I think it's a matter of the mom not wanting the baby, and feeling that they have to "get rid of it". People tend to throw their (and I use that possessive loosely) kids in the garbage as well. It's all a matter of getting rid of them. I think these "moms" are not ready to be mothers, or are just upset at what the kid may represent (some people are raped and end up pregnant) so they just don't want to be reminded of that.

weepforsweep

Everybody should be screened for mental illnesses before being allowed a child. The mothers should use birth control or get an abortion.

Rosyrain

I am sure that it is a problem that has plagued us throughout history, people just hear of it much more these days with massive news coverage. It is very sad and the mothers should know that it is ok to adopt out their children if they can't handle them. I think drug use plays a part in these incidents as well. There are a lot more drugs out there and these drugs can make people crazy, even over a long period of time. It is unfortunate that the innocent babies have to pay the price.

mrsbright

There is such a thing as "pregnancy denial", where pregnant women don't realize they are pregnant or refuse to see it because of how unready they feel and how they just wished it away. It can cause problems or anomaly during birth -- and it can also lead to them killing their babies after it's born, not because it's a conscious decision, but rather... something that is caused by this mental problem.

So are problems like postpartum depression.

It does not mean that the mothers are killers and hate their babies -- if it's noticed and helped before something bad happens, they can go through it and become great mothers after. But it can lead to the worst...

missbishi

Everybody should be screened for mental illnesses before being allowed a child. The mothers should use birth control or get an abortion.

Whaaaat?? My word, this is what used to happen in Nazi Germany! How about, instead of denying these women the chance to have children, we educate them about long-lasting methods of contraception and provide the correct support if they were to fall pregnant and keep the baby?

mrsbright

Whaaaat?? My word, this is what used to happen in Nazi Germany! How about, instead of denying these women the chance to have children, we educate them about long-lasting methods of contraception and provide the correct support if they were to fall pregnant and keep the baby?

Yup, though to be fair, I think Nazi-Germany did this to prevent handicaped baby. In that case, the both parents would have to be screened, not just the mother.

It would be a nice service to offer to pregnant women who look a bit shaken after discovering to offer a free hour of consulting with a psychologist.

missbishi

That would be a great idea mrsbright, pregnancy is such normal natural thing that women are often left to just get on with it. And that's OK for most people. But some mothers do require additional support. It would be sensible for healthcare providers to take an hour to sit with the expectant mother and find out about her situation. This could be key to getting the relevant support in place, not just for the mother but for the child too.

mrsbright

That would be a great idea mrsbright, pregnancy is such normal natural thing that women are often left to just get on with it. And that's OK for most people. But some mothers do require additional support. It would be sensible for healthcare providers to take an hour to sit with the expectant mother and find out about her situation. This could be key to getting the relevant support in place, not just for the mother but for the child too.

This is something that came to my mind in a debate about abortion. I don't believe anyone should regulate whether a woman can or cannot do what she wants with her body, but I do believe that to have some psychological counseling before and after an abortion could be a great idea. It just makes sense that it'd be a great idea for any woman who looks like she needs it. Some will not, yes, they'll just celebrate happily the news with their family and not really go for it, but like you say, it could also end up being vital for the mother AND child.

Mackmax

Um, first things first, lets not group ALL moms into the baby-killing category. The amount of loving, caring, amazing moms FAAARRRR outnumbers the psychos who kill their children. Second, like I said, women who do this are psychologically ill, and are not normal people. Many of these women are incredibly and obsessively religious, and I've heard many stories of women killing their children to save them from demons, or because they believe their child is a demon, or they kill their baby girls because in their religion, baby girls are bad news. Again, these women are crazy.
Lastly, killing children isn't a new trend of today. This isn't a "women of today" thing. The amount of women who purposefully murder their children is incredibly low, and is drastically lower than the amount of women who killed their children in the 1800s.

Kittyworker

It does seem like there has been an increase in the number of cases where the mother is the prime suspect in the death of a child. Its not really new, but I think that the police have become more willing to suspect that the mother is capable of killing their own children since the highly publicized cases in the 80s and 90s. I personally don't understand how a parent could do that to their own child, but obviously theres something wrong with these people.

ebs77

Banned
I think lifestyle, mental health and drug addictions all come into this. People do crazy things for crazy reasons. I'm sure they are not in a healthy state of mind when making these choices. I am not condoning the behaviour but I think we first have to try and understand it from the mothers side before we can come up with methods of prevention.