What should I do if i get arrested but I'm not the one who commited the crime?

FuZyOn

As the title says, what should I do? Should I try to not talk too much and only respond to questions? Or should I hire a good lawyer that could help me? Is it worth spending a lot of money or can I solve it myself?
I feel that a lot of those cases happen and I want to be prepared in case something like this happens to me.

bala

As far as i know,the cops always tell "Anything you tell now will be used against you in the court of law",so its better to stay calm,because it helps you think and they are not going to take your life when they arrest you.You have to explain to the interrogating officer that it was not you,but until then staying calm is the best option.We don't need what is uncalled for.

Rahstyles

Probably best to just deny it and then say as little as possible.

Most people dob themselves in by continuously talking, thinking they can talk themselves out of things.

It usually does not work that way and the police will probably let you incriminate yourself regardless of your innocence.

GemmaRowlands

You have to stay calm. I know how difficult it can be when you know you're not the one who has done something wrong, but you mustn't lose your temper with those who are holding you, as there is a chance that they could then use this against you at a later date. Instead, you should answer all of their questions as far as you possibly can, and give them as much information as possible, as this will help to prove that you are innocent. If there are facts that you do not know off hand, simply reply "I'm not sure of the answer to this, but if you let me check XYZ I can answer it for you". Being willing to comply with those who are interviewing you is something that will help you a lot, as it shows that you were not resisting the police officers in any way.

Gelsemium

I agree, remaining calm will certainly help and if you are innocent sooner or later the truth will appear.

js85

Yeah, I would agree and say staying calm is your best bet. Of course it's an anxious situation but the more you rattle off your mouth the more they don't listen, you know? If someone is of few, but stern, words people generally listen.

askanison

Never speak to the Police innocent or not without a lawyer present. You may think you have nothing to worry about, but your words can be twisted against you very easily. They are trained to get you to say things to incriminate yourself. If you are arrested, listen to your rights and then ask for a lawyer. After that do not answer any questions or offer any information to do with your arrest. It doesn't make you look guilty to want proper representation.

milyjohnson

I agree that you need to stay calm when you are with the police. When you are being questioned, that would be the time to tell the police that you are innocent of the crime.

FuZyOn

Thanks for the advices! Cops these days really want to get the most words out of you so I think it's just better to shut your mouth until you speak to someone.
It's hard to control yourself when you are angry but you have to do it, otherwise you will pay for it!

januz101

If you are ever even arrested, ask the arresting officer for your rights. you have the right to remain silent and the right to ask for a lawyer. under these circumstances if you are caught doing a crime redhanded or they have warrant of arrest for you. Other than that if they cant provide you with those you may file a case for arbitrary dentention.

DancingLady

I absolutely think it's a good idea to get a lawyer right away because they can advise you how to not get trapped into making yourself look guilty if you are not.

I have been arrested under questionable circumstances before. All I did was plea Not Guilty at the arraignment, told the judge a lawyer was not necessary at this time, talked to the prosecutors and they disposed/abandoned the charges.

I did dress appropriately in the court room and did my best to act professional. I also went to the department and got a police report ASAP after the arrest.

Often times a lawyer will just take you money and have you plea out or go through some sort of 'program' to get the charges dropped. Seldom they will be able to get the prosecutors to drop the charges.

The number of corrupt and deceitful lawyers seem to outweigh the number of good honest lawyers but there still are good lawyers out there.

Last edited:

JoshPosh

Banned
As the title says, what should I do? Should I try to not talk too much and only respond to questions? Or should I hire a good lawyer that could help me? Is it worth spending a lot of money or can I solve it myself?
I feel that a lot of those cases happen and I want to be prepared in case something like this happens to me.

I'd probably deny it at first. Get all the facts. Then go talk to a lawyer. You are innocent until proven guilty.

askanison

The problem is anything you say in the heat of the moment without thinking can come back and bite you in the end. It is best to just keep quiet and ask for a lawyer. I can tell you from experience that most will keep talking to you trying to get you to volunteer any information they can get from you even after you have said you wish to remain silent. Depending on the crime you are being accused of anything taken out of context can get you landed in jail for a long period of time if you aren't careful.

I do not agree with hiring a lawyer right away unless you just so happen to have one on staff or a friend who so happens to be a lawyer.

More often than not, lawyers just want your money and to be a client as long as possible. I am questionable of any lawyer who makes me waive my right to a speedy trial without even knowing the case. Also most of us who have been arrested can not afford a lawyer and the public defender simply does not have the time to truly defend a client properly.

Knowing the laws and how the legal system works goes a long way.

If the state has not formally filed charges against you before you have an arraignment, plea Not Guilty and talk with the prosecutors is often all that is needed.

I know from personal experience after being burned for $5,000+ by a lawyer that certainly did NOT help me.

Now I am broke and have no choice but to defend myself smartly.

Last edited:

OfficerStockRoom

I hate to say it but always ask to speak to an attorney before you speak to the police if you are being arrested.

It’s sometimes said that a competent prosecutor can convince a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich. I have been involved in situations where I was called in for my possible involvement in dumping chemicals illegally. Although I had nothing to do with it I knew what had happened and who "MAY" have done it. I was getting pressured very hard to answer the detectives questions, I asked to speak to an attorney and they let me go and never contacted me again. About 2 years after that I got a knock on my door and was this time accused of actually dumping chemicals using a truck I had bought the day before from a tax sale. The crime had been committed long before I bought the truck. I told them straight out that they would need to ask my attorneys any questions they had. My attorney contacted them and they never responded.

Never answer any questions even if you are innocent, even though your answers might help to exonerate you, they could hurt you even though you may be innocent.

Invoking your 5th Amendment Rights is always important when being arrested. Being arrested does not mean one looses their Bill of Rights and many do not realize that unless there is a warrant, a person still has 4th Amendment rights too.

I admit that most will incriminate themselves even more after being arrested. Some truly do not have the ability to simply remain quiet.

caparica007

I think that telling the truth will be enough. If it's a complicated situation nothing like asking for a lawyer.

camsdad

It's a very nerve wrecking experience to find yourself in trouble with the police. I've been in situations where me and my buddies weren't doing anything wrong, but, of course we fit the description of people who were/would be. Some of those friends would get taken down town just for panicking. Fact is they want to get that reaction out of you. Don't act guilty if you know you are not. The cops would even say "be quiet" and I'd remain calm, even though mistaken identity happens everyday and I had every reason to freak out as well.

mrsbright

Don't assume that police people will be nicer to you just because you decide to "cooperate". That's not gonna happen. They will hold whatever against you -- and even if you are not guilty, it is possible as it was said before that they would twist your words, find something illogical in your story and hound you for it, or that you'd let slip out some other details which would happen to be a crime and they would of course not just let it go because it is not the object of the interrogation.

Maybe some people would know how to get themselves out of trouble without a lawyer; they know the law, they know how to keep calm and how to answer just what needs to be answered, without giving the authorities anything else they could be suspicious about. But that is not the majority of people. For your piece of mind, just use your right to remain silent and to see a lawyer and give them nothing else.