What sort of experiences have you had with police?

primalclaws1974

I am talking about negative and positive experiences. Please share a story. When I was a teenager and young adult I was trouble a lot with petty crime and drinking underage. I hated police. Obviously the reason I didn't like them was because I was getting caught. But there was one time that I was very mad at an officer, and to this day I feel he was wrong. A friend and I were lightly drinking at my house. Some girls we knew called and asked to meet them. We went to the edge of town and met them at an empty church parking lot. We decide to go their place, outside of town. We followed them in their car, and passed a police cruiser. He turned around and followed us for about six city blocks. On the last road in town the girls turned on their turn signal, as did we--and the cop lit us up. The girls left town but we were stopped. My friend was driving. He blew in the breathalyzer and passed, but the officer still ordered him to go home. As they were in his cruiser and I was in my friend's car I did not hear this until he came back. I walked back to the police car, asked the officer how he could tell an adult man of legal drinking age to go home if he was under the legal limit. Otherwise he would have taken him to jail, right? The cop glared at me, and in an aggravated tone told me to go file a harassment paper on him if I didn't like it. That's exactly what I did. I was not trying to be rude. I was simply wondering what made him think he had the authority to tell someone to get off the streets when they weren't doing anything illegal.

Kamarsun1

Well since I am well educated in Law, I don't have much trouble from them any more. Some of them may not like the fact that I know more about the constitution then most of them but I have a right to study and know my rights. I heard someone say " it you don't know your rights you have no rights." Well cops better come correct, It also helps to a sister in her last year of law school. I love dealing with public servants.

bala

loads of bad experiences.Mostly for speeding,but that ain't a big thing.Once we were blamed for drunk driving despite the breath analyzer showing negative.We had to pay up a fine despite not consuming alcohol.There are many that i don't want to recount on.

SamClemensMT

I have always had good experiences with the police. But then I always give them their due respect. Lately I've felt sorry for them, because they have been painted with a broad brush. We rely on our police to keep society civil. Without them things would fall apart. Force is the only thing that people who have no regard for the law will respect. That's what the average citizen doesn't seem to appreciate. Until they are victimized by a criminal.

pattycake

I've had my run ins with the police over the years. They just messing with people because they got nothing better to do. It's no biggie. Cops are basically big kids like lots of other people. Some of them are good, some are not.

bala

I've had my run ins with the police over the years. They just messing with people because they got nothing better to do. It's no biggie. Cops are basically big kids like lots of other people. Some of them are good, some are not.
and some..a pain in he arse.They keep tagging u down.
i disagree with the second part though..:/
i look at run ins with cops as a game where i have to escape..Quite reminiscent of the games i played when i was a kid,but now that it is in reality.

Gelsemium

I had a car accident recently and the police was there, but they weren't very supportive, I had the feeling that they were just doing the job, not caring of the people there.

downsouth

A couple times for speeding and once when I was questioned as a witness to a bar fight between a friend of mine and some drunk guy who basically attacked him. Other than that no other interaction.

Peachdejour

My earliest experience with police officers was very scary. As an adult, I think back on it and realize they were arresting fugitives and the one police officer was still trying to calm me down. However, for years, I did not remember that part. Now I was about 3 or 4 years old and did not realize until I had a memory flashback recently that I was present for the crime that caused this whole incident. I'm not even sure how much of this my mother even knows because she was not present and she seemed very shocked when the police kicked in our door too. We had taken in a young couple. I'm not sure if they were young enough to be runaways or just 18. I know they were a little young than my mother who was 20-21. Well, one night while my mom was working we took one of them to get some of their belongings from their parents house. However, as I remembered later, I watched them go in through the window. Now, it was their parents home, but mom and dad pressed charges. Next thing little me sees through the crack in the door (I had a door that locked with an eye hook from the outside-another long story) is the police busting through the apartment door guns out and my new friends are being thrown against the wall and roughed up a bit. All I knew was that they were nice to me and not a lot of people were nice to me. I must have been crying because one of the officers knelt down and told me through the door that it was going to be okay and they weren't going to hurt them and to go ahead and lay back down. We never saw them again. I have to say all my other experiences with cops have been fairly positive. I've had to work fairly closely with them working in mental health.

downsouth

Once I got a ticket for going through a yellow light. I still don't understand that logic. A yellow light is a warning that you should slow down and that a red light is coming but it does not mean you have to stop. If anything it means slow down but if you are already in the intersection then what are you supposed to do. The officer gave it a cute name to "steady yellow" or something like that. I just laughed and said give me a break. Still got a ticket. I was arguing about it but even if I didn't say anything guy was a hard ass. He wasn't going to let me go.

SamClemensMT

They were probably looking to raise revenue off the motorist. This is a form of taxation. It happens everywhere. Your only defense is to stop as the yellow light comes on. Of course, then the guy behind you will rear end you, because he expected you to go through the light. I know, the whole situation sucks. Lol!

megankl

It is a funny story and something that I can definitely laugh good at now but when I was young me and another neighbor that I hung out with a lot decided it would be a good idea to go over to the school across the road from our house and rip all of the school screens with rocks. When I was late coming home my mom came searching for me and found us and seen what we had done. She was furious and put us right in the car driving us right to the police station. It was one of the scariest things in my life and was definitely a learning lesson! I am so happy that I can laugh about it now.

rga1999

The only time I have had an experience with a police officer was when I got my DUI. Believe it or not,the officer treated me just fine. Now on the other hand I know how to conduct myself. as well.

SamClemensMT

I'm curious to hear how the story ended. Did your folks have to pay for the damage? Did you go to reform school? What came of the situation?

GlacialDoom

I've only had positive encounters with police. All the police officers I've had to deal with are generally laid-back guys, really friendly and understanding.

Gelsemium

In my country the police is not very friendly, so I am usually pleasantly surprised when I go abroad to see the police officers acting kindly, well done to them.

angielou123

Mostly bad experiences for me. Lots of house raids due to unsuitable partners ive had over the years. I had a charge for burglary for driving a partner to a warehouse where he stole something. Got let off in court though, he got all the charges and the fines. Only down to a first class solicitor though or I could have been in real trouble. I got caught with about £5 worth of squigdy black one day and got taken to court and fined nearly £200. That was a dear old spliff I never even got to smoke. Don't think the police have helped me once so far.

Mackmax

Thankfully, I have never had any horrible experiences with the police. Most police I have come across are kind and caring, but I have seen some who abuse their power and treat civilians like dirt. I have come across very no-nonsense police who seem to just be waiting for you to mess up so they can slap handcuffs on you as quick as possible, though.

shilpa123

I never had any experience with the police as I think I always been a good person. The police over here are quite rude, hence I hope to never have any encounterr with them. I prefer to live my own life without any interferences from others.

LitoLawless

A really long time ago I tried to hop a turnstile in New York because I wanted to go to the skatepark. A couple of undercover cops saw me and took me in. The whole way to the precinct they kept calling me Tony Hawk and telling me how stupid I was for hopping in front of cops, even though they were undercover. All the smart remarks were just unnecessary.