When Can A Store Owner Legally Detain You?

princenyc

I'm not a shoplifter but I have always been curious about this. If a store catches someone shoplifting, can they physically restrain the person to prevent them from leaving the store until the police arrive?

What about stores like Wal-Mart where they ask to see your receipt when you leave? What if you just don't show it to them and walk out? Can you be arrested for this?

Profit5500

I'm not a shoplifter but I have always been curious about this. If a store catches someone shoplifting, can they physically restrain the person to prevent them from leaving the store until the police arrive?

What about stores like Wal-Mart where they ask to see your receipt when you leave? What if you just don't show it to them and walk out? Can you be arrested for this?
The Walmart where I go they just say have a good day. Or I would not see anyone at the main entrance. It just depends on which Walmart you are in. I go to one where there is not that great of a management so some employees are friendly and others are crappy.

Patrick

I suppose the best thing to do if you are really innocent is just to show them your receipt? It clears up any misunderstandings instantly and should not take up too much of your time.

I believe that the security personnel have to right to detain you temporarily if they suspect you of shoplifting.

januz101

If you have been found guilty of a crime like shoplifting, the store owner or their staff can withold you passage outside the store. They have the right to detain you temporarily until the cops have arrived at the store for proper turn over of custody. They have the right to do these under citizens arrest.

DancingLady

I think they can only hold you if they are calling the police. If they suspect you of shoplifting they can detain you and call the police and then the police will handle it. If it turns out they were mistaken and you don't have anything, you will be let go.