When I call 911

Kootzg

No, if you choose to stay anonymous or keep information confidential just tell the operator.

Peachdejour

I've never had a 911 operator ask me my name even when they were coming to my house. I've also had to call them for work several times and they have never requested my name. They only requested my location. Sometimes the responding officer will need your name on the scene depending on what the nature of the emergency.

LitoLawless

I've never had to give my name or anything like that when I called 911. I think their main concern is finding out what the problem is and getting into the process of handling it as soon as possible. Just imaging if there was a home invasion, and the operator spent time trying to figure out the person's name and things like that. Not only is there a chance they will be heard, but it's taking away from the time needed to get cops over to the house.

Gelsemium

When the call is transferred to the police they usually ask who is calling, but we can stay anonymous if we prefer I think.

GemmaRowlands

No, they won't make you tell them who you are unless you want to. They may ask for your name out of politeness, but you do not have to give this to them. However, they would be able to track the call, so if they wanted to, there would be a high chance that they could find out who it was who called them whether you had given your name to them or not. But never worry about phoning because you think they would want your name, as this is more than likely not the case.

Peninha

I think it's good that we can keep anonymous because many people would not call if they had to give their names.

primalclaws1974

I know they tell you when you call a hotline that you don't have to reveal who you are, but that is not the same as the 911 system. They will ask your name. Whether you give it or not, I suppose is your choice. If the police are able to track you down (and they will trace your call, from a landline, pay phone, or cell), you may have to explain why you were unwilling to give your name. They may wonder if you were involved in the incident you called in.