When is a shooting justified?

JoanMcWench

We've all seen the videos showing situations an officer can regret but when is shooting someone justified? What does it take in a video to prove the officer is not at fault? It seems really easy to prove them at fault. I want to know the counter to that argument.

Gabe

A justified shoot is when a suspect is armed and can cause danger, or refuses to stop when told. When you are talking of split seconds, you can't think about anything else, but survival. It comes down to reasonable force and if the suspect did put their hands up and surrender then a shooting would not be justified.

May102014

A justified shoot is when a suspect is armed and can cause danger, or refuses to stop when told. When you are talking of split seconds, you can't think about anything else, but survival. It comes down to reasonable force and if the suspect did put their hands up and surrender then a shooting would not be justified.

In addition to this, a justified shoot is when the officer life is at stake, when he is left with no other choice but to shoot the offender. Surely, you will do everything to defend and protect your life and the life of others.

FuZyOn

I think shooting someone is justified when that person is putting your or other people's life in danger.
Officers are trained to lethally shoot everyone that is dangerous and isn't cooperating so I think that that's a reasonable solution.

Diane Lane

Also, there are weapons don't just take the form of guns. They can be many things, such as shoe, bat, ashtray, vehicle, or just a person's hands, depending upon the size, training, situation, etc. I do think it's easy for people to sit back and state that something is unjustified, but most of them are unqualified to do so. Some police departments are offering to put members of the press and other 'community leaders' in a simulated environment to help them understand how difficult the determination can be. I respect their desire to do so, but in my opinion, that step shouldn't be necessary. However, it is nice to hear participants stating that they were overwhelmed, that the situation unfolded quickly, and that they would have taken the same action that they had previously denounced. I think community leaders should be preaching cooperation with law enforcement. If there is an issue of overzealousness on the part of the police, that can be addressed later, after they've cooperated, and the facts are known, but once someone is dead, because s/he refused to cooperate, or made officers feel their lives or someone else's life was in danger, it could be too late.

Rainman

Anytime someone either because they're armed or their action(s) poses danger to another person or a LEO, shooting them dead is justified. The reason why we have lots of unjustified killings is because some cops panic and . . .

lushlala

I totally agree that it's justified where the alleged perpetrator is resisting arrest and not cooperating with the police, being a nuisance and posing a threat to both the public and police safety. I believe strongly that if the individual is armed, and waving their weapon around recklessly, that'd be another reason to shoot them if they won't listen to directions to put it away, lest they shoot someone first. They need disabling and disarming PRONTO. I have never understand people who protest their innocence but then will not cooperate with the police and become violent and horrible; because surely if you have nothing to hid,e the sooner you can prove that the police have it wrong, the better?

Josie

I don't think anyone deserves to die. Ever. If a gun is pulled on someone, I understand the safest route is to kill.. but I would hope there is a shot to be taken that will just disable the criminal long enough to obtain them. It's a rare case I think it was justified unless the criminal is actually shooting.

dyanmarie25

I think a shooting can be justified when an armed person is already threatening to kill innocent people; that could lead to real danger and fatalities, so someone should shot that person right away before it's too late.

musicmonster

For me, the shooting is justified when the other person is armed or if the suspect assaulted the officer when he was already asked to put down his weapon. However, there are a lot of incidents that cops have been shooting unarmed people especially last year. That, I'm not sure I follow.