When to call the non-emergency number?

partlysunny

This may seem like a silly question, but I feel like the guidelines are very gray about when a citizen should call a non-emergency number, versus when someone should call 911.

I understand that if it's a dangerous/violent situation or when it's incredibly serious, of course you should call 911. But what about other situations? For example:

-You see someone strange by your neighbor's property.
-You think there is a car getting broken into, but you aren't sure.
-Someone is walking on the side of the highway.
-A pet is left in someone's hot car.

Should I always err on the side of caution when there's a doubt, and call 911? Could I get in trouble for calling 911 when it isn't a true emergency?

Kittyworker

-You see someone strange by your neighbor's property.
-You think there is a car getting broken into, but you aren't sure.
-Someone is walking on the side of the highway.
-A pet is left in someone's hot car.

1) It depends on what they are doing. Are they checking out the house suspiciously? Are they trying to avoid being seen? If the answer is yes to either of these you should call 911. Theres no telling if someone inside the house might be in danger if that person is trying to break in.
2) Yes, if the owner of the car returns to find a thief breaking into their car there may be a confrontation. If the police are already on the way thats good. Usually 911 will stay with you on the line if there is a crime in progress to get updates. If there is a confrontation they can then relay that to the inbound police who will try to get there even faster.
3) No, If you feel you must call someone to help them you should call non-emergency and let them sort out whether to send someone or not.
4) Personally I would call 911 if the animal looks to be in distress. Sometimes its difficult to tell though as some cars let you run the AC even when the engine isn't running.

If in doubt I would call 911 and let them transfer you over to non-emergency if they deem it so. You could get in trouble, but only for repeat offences.

Edit: Misunderstood 2 and changed answer.

bala

Any situation like these will fall under the category emergency only.
You think a car is being broken into,but how do you know its just some random case of theft and not an act of terrorism.What if the person breaking in fits a bomb inside.Whatever the situation maybe,it should be treated as emergency.

partlysunny

So, even in a case where it's an animal in trouble, not a human, I should still call 911? I'm curious about the pet in the hot car example.

bala

So, even in a case where it's an animal in trouble, not a human, I should still call 911? I'm curious about the pet in the hot car example.
Yup i reckon we have to call 911 even in that case.If its the pet in hot car we might not have time to call 911,we might as well get into the rescue act.
Its safe to call 911 in any case or the other.