Which Crimes Aren't That Serious?

Rainman

One police officer who happened to be sent to jail for something he did upon release said many prisoners shouldn't be in prison because the crimes they committed didn't call for such harsh sentencing. He gave the example of someone who's probably arrested because they had in their possession a few grams of some drug [they intended to use themselves]. And they get sent to prison for 10 years.
Is it fair?
What are some crimes which are treated as serious but which in reality aren't?

Dealing pot, alcohol possession by minors. Really any drug crime could be considered minor depending on your views of people putting things in their own bodies. The war on drugs definitely made prison sentences for drug crimes harsher, some might say too harsh. Some would also say prostitution isn't as big a deal as some people make it out to be.

Profit5500

That is the sheer unfairness of the justice system. Having a few grams of crack and cocaine is a recipe for a decade in prison which bites. I don't really condone the use of drugs but I think that having a little bit of a certain drug on you should not land you in prison for ten years.

GemmaRowlands

There are some crimes that can hold a lot of discretion when it comes to being arrested for them, and alcohol and drugs are two of those. For example, even though it may not be legal to take drugs in certain countries, there are a lot of police officers who would try to turn a blind eye to it as long as the people involved weren't causing any trouble for the police or the local community. Generally, breaking the law only becomes a problem if you're a danger or a problem to others. Although the police would always be able, technically, to arrest you if you broke the law, they are unlikely to do it every time.

bala

Alcohol possession by minors..may be..?
I would say the crimes should be treated as serious,only if they harm anyone else.As someone already stated..prostitution might be considered a crime,but to me,as long as it isn't a racket,then its fine.

Lin

That is the sheer unfairness of the justice system. Having a few grams of crack and cocaine is a recipe for a decade in prison which bites. I don't really condone the use of drugs but I think that having a little bit of a certain drug on you should not land you in prison for ten years.
I believe so too. I think it would be better to go to a detox facility. After the detox, one should be admitted for Rehab.

Lin

Alcohol possession by minors..may be..?
I would say the crimes should be treated as serious,only if they harm anyone else.As someone already stated..prostitution might be considered a crime,but to me,as long as it isn't a racket,then its fine.
I don't know how it became a crime in the first place. Well, it is legal in some places. I think what should be illegal about it is when under-aged young ladies/and men engage in prostitution. But, for centuries now, people have always wanted sex and were willing to pay money for it. Even if it is not done at a commercial establishment, it's still prostitution for a woman to accept money for sex...but what is illegal about that. It's a choice that they make.