Who gets into traffic duty?

Patrick

I've read that the poorly-performing officers are often pushed into traffic duty, many people see it as undesirable and they get little respect, despite them being invaluable to making roads safer.

Is it true that officers are pushed into traffic duty if they are seen as the "bottom of the barrel"?

januz101

I dont know about that. Some cops might say that because it's one of the most demanding job for a cop to be. You need to perform your duty double time as you are posted in a most demanding place within your respective area of responsibility. You will be subjected under the heat of the scorching sun to manned and supervise all incoming and outgoing traffic.

Patrick

I dont know about that. Some cops might say that because it's one of the most demanding job for a cop to be. You need to perform your duty double time as you are posted in a most demanding place within your respective area of responsibility. You will be subjected under the heat of the scorching sun to manned and supervise all incoming and outgoing traffic.

Definitely, I know that it's a very difficult and stressful job. They deserve a lot more respect from the public for what they do, and I hope that such a stigma against doesn't exist among their colleagues in other police divisions.

js85

I would hope it's just like any other jurisdiction: something somebody chooses or are particularly talented at. I have a hard time seeing any law enforcement as "bottom of the barrel", there are difficult moments in every area.