Who watches the protector?

headmaster

My question is about accountability. According to basic law everybody is accountable for their actions and the subsequent reactions. How many enforcers/protectors/keepers of the law have somebody watching their back, so that they tow the line too? I think most of them will say that they all do. But it all goes back to the age old question of - 'Who is Who's Keeper?'. If you give anybody enough knowledge and power they can circumvent REALITY or issues to their benefit.

PhilA

I think I understand what you are getting at. There are always hierarchies in place within law enforcement, but at the end of the day everyone is only human. Mistakes, corruption etc can, and does happen.

GemmaRowlands

I do know where you're coming from, and it is a worry that at some point there will be a person at the top of an organisation who does not actually have to answer to anybody at all. However, you just have to trust their professional integrity and hope that they will do everything that they can to ensure that the job is done properly. Of course things will go wrong sometimes, but this is the case in every profession and not just those to do with the law.

bala

@GemmaRowlands : Just what i wanted to convey.There will be one superpower who doesn't need to answer anyone,but if we think back,it is we who elect them.The one at the top sits on our confidence. Things can go wrong and haywire at times,it does happen with money around.