Why are police allowed to take their weapons home?

jeremy2

Due to the nature of their work, police are supposed to on call 24 hours a day.That means he can be summoned in the middle of the night on short notice to attend to some emergency. It makes a lot of sense then to carry a gun if he's supposed to work when called upon. A police man does not cease to be one even after changing uniform.He is bound by oath and the dress code he chooses doesn't affect his status.

Kittyworker

When an off duty officer has cause to arrest someone they do it by detaining them and calling for an on duty officer to assist. Even when they are "off the clock" they are sworn to uphold the law. If they see a crime being committed they can arrest you and they will hold you until another officer arrives.
Anyone who lives in a jurisdiction that allows for Citizens Arrests have this right. I'm not sure that an off duty cop has any more rights (ability) to enforce the law than a regular citizen does. It all depends on the jurisdiction. Some Jurisdictions don't allow citizens arrests and anyone caught detaining a person can be charged with assault and in some circumstances kidnapping. It would seem silly if there weren't an exception in these areas that allowed Off-Duty cops to act.

Gelsemium

This is really a question I didn't consider, I mean, if you are a police officer you have the right to carry your gun even if you're off duty no?

OMGnoWAY

I agree with the people saying they shouldn't be allowed to take them home. If something happens when they'e off the clock, then they can call the police just like the rest of us.

I don't like that my taxes are going towards all these off-duty cops killing black people. If a cop uses his gun, I want him in uniform and preferably also on dashboard cam.

Profit5500

Well citizens do have the power to arrest someone if they see a crime in action, so it's no different for police, now turning in your badge and gun, may not be a good idea. There is a chance those items can get into the hands of the wrong person. It should be the responsibility of the officer to keep and maintain his or her own gun and badge.
If that badge and gun get into the wrong hands that would be attrocious. Officers are supposed to be trained to handle weapons carefully. I would doubt that they would get themselves into a hurdle regarding their weapon while off-duty.

RingoBerry

We have all heard at least once before that police officers are on duty 24/7. As long as they encounter a situation where an enforcer is needed, they are inclined to respond even if they are off duty.

Rainman

I suppose the other reason cops get to take their weapons home is this:

Police officers make lots of enemies in the line of duty. Try to imagine someone who wants vengeance bumping into the unarmed cop who arrested him for committing a crime. How do you think it would end? That's another reason why cops must at all times be armed. Enemies don't stop hating you just because you are in civvies.

JohnBrock

I suppose the other reason cops get to take their weapons home is this:

Police officers make lots of enemies in the line of duty. Try to imagine someone who wants vengeance bumping into the unarmed cop who arrested him for committing a crime. How do you think it would end? That's another reason why cops must at all times be armed. Enemies don't stop hating you just because you are in civvies.

That could be one reason, but I am more inclined to believe that it is because they have sufficient training in handling firearms, and that the legal system places trust in police officer's ability to handle lethal weapons (with varying degrees of reason). Furthermore, officers who are off the clock are still technically on duty in many police circles, this means that having a weapon readily available is often important

Gabe

I think it would be bad for cops to leave their weapons behind. Some do and lock them in their desks as they do on television, but those who have an early start or on call have to be ready as soon as they leave the house and some may not live near the station either. Most have safes at home and lock them there and it's like a uniform, you have to be ready for the job and not leave the equipment behind as most aren't desk policemen.

I understand your concerns when regarding this subject especially with current controversy involving law enforcement. But just take into account this scenario for a moment. (your walking to your car after a long night of shopping with your children, when an armed man grabs you and shoves you to the ground. He then turns to your child and pulls a knife out to stab her in the chest right in front of you. There is an off duty cop coming out of the doors of the store, he sees the disturbance and rushes to save your child. The armed man stabs your little girl before the cop can get there to help. He was to far away). Had this cop had his gun he may have been able to shoot the man before he had a chance to kill your little girl.

Now I know this scenario may seem a bit dramatic but situations just like this one happen all the time. As with all things there are good and bad, and I know that some police officers do abuse the right to bear arms, but for the most part I am willing to take a chance on those folks that have sworn to protect and serve the citizens of this country.

lushlala

I totally agree with the idea of letting the police take their weapons home with them. They don't really finish work in the true sense. They are always on standby and can be called upon at any time of the day to go and attend to a situation urgently. A police officer never truly clocks off. I wouldn't be surprised if they sleep with one eye open, in case they get called in. There'd just be no sense in having them go in to work to go and pick up their guns, before coming back out to go where they're needed.

Josie

I agree.. they're still cops, even off duty and are obligated to uphold the law at all times. Just like with doctors and even 911 dispatchers. If they see an accident or say, someone having a heart attack, they are required to help.. they can't just stand by. They were trained and so become first responders if the people called haven't shown up yet. Same is the case with the police.