Why do cops ask certain questions?

vinceasneed

I have always wondered why some cops ask certain questions. Most of them I understand but there are a couple that I don't understand why they ask. For an example, when pulled over, why do cops ask if we know why they stopped us? This question seems odd because they are essentially asking you to incriminate yourself and admit it. Not to mention the fact that you might state something that they did not notice until you say something. The same question applies to why they ask do you know how fast you were going? It just seems self incriminating.

LitoLawless

I really think that cops have mastered the art of leading. Basically, they are fully aware of the situation before they even step to you. They basically want to see if you are going to lie to them or not (for the most part, people WILL lie). So, for the most part they are asking question that will get you to admit what they already know, or to accidently out yourself.

Rosyrain

Police ask certain questions because they already know the answers and want to see if people are going to be truthful. They also have a line of questions that build on each other and will eventually trip up the suspect if that person is guilty. There are specific classes geared toward the art of interrogation.