Wife/husband breaking the law

wameyo

What would be your initial reaction if you found your wife or husband breaking the law. Say you found your husband in some robbery or your wife shoplifting?

GlacialDoom

I think most people's reaction (mine too) would be to sit them down and have a long talk, followed by additional help (like a psychologist) if needed.

Peachdejour

If it was a crime that was not hurting another person, I would get that person psychological help. There is obviously a reason why they feel the need to be breaking the law. If they were hurting other people, they would be getting turned in, no doubt about it. I don't play games.

stevesxs9

It all depends on where your loyalties lie. You would hope that the spouse would do the right thing and report it, but because your dealing with affairs of the heart in many cases, people will do what's best for them instead of what's right.

missbishi

I would try and get my partner some help. I'd encourage him to look for the reasons why he'd broken the law and work out ways to do things differently next time. However, if he'd been drinking and driving I think I would walk out. One of the most stupid things a person can do. Obviously if he'd confessed to a murder, I'd report it straight away.

musicmonster

If it's a minor crime like if it doesn't involve murder or robbing a bank or anything serious like that, I'd definitely talk to my wife about it and help her with everything that I can. There's no reason I'd just leave her like that nor throw her under the bus. There must be a good reason behind her actions so we'll just have to sort it out first.

shilpa123

I believe it is always better to not think about hurting each other if they have been just breaking the law. It is best to solve it with lots of care and attention to the spouses. Hurting each other is never the right way to solve any issue.

Onionman

It would definitely depend on the type of crime it was. Certainly you'd have to have a chat about whichever crime, and question whether I was with the right person. But if it was a serious crime then realistically I would have to go to the police.

LitoLawless

I think this all depends, much like if a member of your family broke some laws. I think that if it was murder or a string of robberies then you would have no choice but to turn that person in. If it was something smaller than that then you have to ask yourself if it is really worth turning in the person that you love.

GemmaRowlands

I think it would depend on the law that they were breaking. Firstly, if they were doing something that would hurt anybody, then I would have to put a stop to it, whether they were my loved one or not. If it was something like drugs, or shoplifting, then I would try to work out why they were doing it, and what must be wrong with their state of mind in order to make them behave in that way. I would try to support my family and loved ones, but if they were doing anything that could hurt other people then I would certainly be trying to do something about it.

Peninha

If I saw my wife in such activities and I didn't know it would be a huge surprise and we would need to have a serious discussion, if she was still in freedom.

Kittyworker

It really depends on the crime being committed. If it were something as simple as pirating a movie I wouldn't do anything. I've told my husband off for purposely mis-scanning an item at grocery store check outs before, but I wouldn't turn him in for it. Shoplifting would vary on the reason he didn't pay. I've seen people wait at a checkout for 5 minutes while shop workers stood around on break before the person walked out carrying the item they were going to pay for.

Muthoni

I would talk to them to understand why they are breaking the law. I would give them a chance to stop doing what they are doing because it makes me an accomplice to their crimes. If they do not change their ways, then it is time to pack their bags and show them the way out of my life.

Peninha

Yeah, realistically speaking I find that hard to believe with my wife because we have a close relation, but I wouldn't be surprised to know that many couples might have this issue.

bala

I would b heart broken that she had to resort to such an act,but what needs to be done has to be done,we cant sit and wail over it right.I would probably look at getting them out,if they are innocent.

caparica007

Sure, for me it would be the start of the end of the relation, depending on the crime. On the other hand, if there was regret maybe something could still be done.

Josie

If it didn't take a life, I would back him to the end. He is a very good man and there would be a very good reason. Yes, I believe there are good reasons for some bad actions and I would stand by anyone forced into crime because of their situations. Not all criminals are bad people.

That said.. not much would push my husband to break the law other than someone hurting our children.. we'd both go down in that case.

bala

i might even go to the extent of disowning them at all costs.I don't like my partner breaking the law and i will surely complain to cops myself when i know of it.

Ok..enuf of the april fool part..:p
i will first sensible think what next to do and if there is a way out of the problem.Idk..have never been in a situation like this.

dyanmarie25

Well, I hope that he didn't hurt anyone physically in that case. Because if he did, then I must turn him in to the authority. And the fact that he hid all of his bad business from me was kind of hard to forgive.

Patrick

It's really hard to answer what you would do unless you truly were put into such a difficult scenario. Logically most people would say that they would report their loved ones to the police, but I can empathize with those who choose to protect them, even when they are breaking the law.