Will firing squads make a comeback?

missbishi

Following Utah's recent decision to bring the firing squad back, the BBC have looked at whether this will become a trend. An EU embargo means that the drugs used in lethal injections are getting scarce so other methods of execution are being considered. What do you think? Do you think Death Row inmates deserve everything they get and you couldn't care less about how they are killed? Or do you think the firing squad is barbaric and unconstitutional? Could this just be an attempt to get the EU to relax their import restrictions (which were created, in part, to prevent other countries using the drugs in lethal injections) by suggesting what might happen if the drugs became unavailable?

Will firing squads make a comeback in the US? - BBC News

kana_marie

Banned
If I'm not mistaken it was legal in Utah up until a few years ago, (but you might not want to quote me on that without checking). Death row inmates could choose it for their execution. It wasn't a very popular choice, though. Honestly, though, I would prefer that over any of the other options. It'll be a much quicker death. If enough people come out as feeling the same way I do, it's definitely possible.

thegrey1

[QUOTE=missbishi
What do you think? Do you think Death Row inmates deserve everything they get and you couldn't care less about how they are killed? ( UH NO.They are entitled to due process. ) Or do you think the firing squad is barbaric and unconstitutional? (Again, no. It is not barbaric.Allowing the same criminals to possibly commit more heinous crimes, because of parole, escape,etc. is barbaric). I think if the prisoners on death row continue to whine about the uncertainty of execution drugs, we will indeed have to use alternate methods.

dyanmarie25

I'm not really in favor of death penalty, and I hope firing squad will never ever come back. I mean, that's way too gruesome than lethal injection.

Gabe

I doubt it will make a comeback and limiting the drugs will make little difference. I think the story is really a way to highlight how backward some states are and make people aware that death by firing squad is not a thing of the past in the movies. Saddam Hussein requested a firing squad as he felt it was more dignified than hanging. Either way I am opposed to the death penalty whichever method is used.

Rainman

How hard would it be for an American pharmaceutical company to make a drug that will kill someone? Must the drugs be imported from Europe?

I think firing squad is a more humane way to dispatch someone than the electric chair which would be the other option should lethal injections for some reason be unavailable.

As of 2014, the only places in the world which still reserve the electric chair as an option for execution are the U.S. states of Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia.

If other states are considering bringing back firing squad then these others will use an execution method that's more barbaric.

Josie

It's just silly and more fun for the demented that enjoy watching other humans die. But whatever.. if I were on death row, I'd rather be in front of a firing squad. It would be quick and my adrenaline would keep me from suffering.

thegrey1

How hard would it be for an American pharmaceutical company to make a drug that will kill someone? Must the drugs be imported from Europe?

I think firing squad is a more humane way to dispatch someone than the electric chair which would be the other option should lethal injections for some reason be unavailable. If other states are considering bringing back firing squad then these others will use an execution method that's more barbaric.

I agree that other methods will be used that may be worse. In my state, they are considering bringing back the electric chair, in my opinion much worse.I also don't understand why we can't manufacture our own drugs.

thegrey1

It's just silly and more fun for the demented that enjoy watching other humans die. But whatever.. if I were on death row, I'd rather be in front of a firing squad. It would be quick and my adrenaline would keep me from suffering.

I for one, am not a sociopath who "enjoys watching people die, " but I believe that in order to provide safety for the majority of citizens in our society, we have to administer justice. A quick painless death is so much better than the victims in these situations could have hoped for. Society cannot afford to show more than a modicum of mercy to the merciless. That is God's forte.

Shimus

I indeed agree with it's barbaric. At least with lethal injections you die almost all of the time. A firing squad, no matter how well trained can still have a chance to miss vitals and leave the potential person alive to experience such pain that is unconstitutional. I hope this doesn't trend and make a comeback. Makes me sick.

Peachdejour

Okay. So they are really going to use a firing squad or this is a play to cause an uproar over firing squads to push pharmaceutical companies to provide lethal injections and the public to forget about the problems with them. So, we can inject people with drugs that may be problematic, or states can put a bullet in someones head. I don't see much difference at this point.

Josie

I for one, am not a sociopath who "enjoys watching people die, " but I believe that in order to provide safety for the majority of citizens in our society, we have to administer justice. A quick painless death is so much better than the victims in these situations could have hoped for. Society cannot afford to show more than a modicum of mercy to the merciless. That is God's forte.

I was talking about the people making the decision and the ones doing the shooting. I don't believe in the death penalty for any reason. I believe in getting rid of the people in there that don't belong, to save money to keep the true monsters alive. They need to live with what they did. Just enough bread and water to survive and that's about it.

aparsons

I don't agree with firing squad, because it leaves the individuals who to the firing in a much more uncertain scenario. From what I understand, out of the 5 or so individuals lined up to fire, only 1 gun actually has a bullet instead of a blank round. This means that no one is certain about who killed the accused. I personally don't like this sense of the unknown as I know I would personally consumed by the consideration that I may, or may not, have killed someone. Other forms of execution to me seem much more passive and less direct.

JoanMcWench

Regardless of how these people are being killed by the state, they're being killed by the state. If I had a choice as to how they were going to kill me of course I would choose lethal injection but if you had a choice you would choose not to die at all. We all assume that lethal injection is not as bad as these other methods but we've never experienced it. Perhaps it's not pleasant at all.

Josie

Regardless of how these people are being killed by the state, they're being killed by the state. If I had a choice as to how they were going to kill me of course I would choose lethal injection but if you had a choice you would choose not to die at all. We all assume that lethal injection is not as bad as these other methods but we've never experienced it. Perhaps it's not pleasant at all.

That's why I'd choose firing squad. Heck, hang me! lol. We have no experience with lethal injection, it could be pure torture masked by a slack face.