Wisconsin police officer kills suspect on first day back after previous shooting

Ispanico

theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/17/wisconsin-police-officer-kills-suspect-first-day-back-previous-shooting

What do you guys think? While at first it may seem like a trigger happy cop, this news story could either be an example of a poorly trained out of control officer, or a really traumatic experience for the cop.

missbishi

I am amazed that he was allowed back on duty just 10 days after shooting someone else! He's clearly been affected by the experience, to the point where he's panicked and gor defensive. To be honest, I'm not sure if he should be allowed back on duty, certainly not without some king of psychiatric evaluation.

dyanmarie25

Woah, that police officer is totally incompetent. He should have not been allowed to go back to the service in the first place.

Rainman

The police officer obviously has issues with nervousness. Or he has a weapon(s) phobia. The first person he shot was armed. The second one, allegedly, was also armed.

When Torres confronted Siler, Siler “armed himself with a weapon†and Torres fatally shot him

He shot him because he thought the suspect would kill him?

I wonder whether he'll be indicted this time . . .

Ispanico

I'd certainly hope so! While at first glance it may not be his fault that he was let back in such a short time and may be carrying some trauma, such as panic or defensiveness in the face of weapons, it's still extremely dangerous to let him loose!

I believe he shouldn't be let back in the force and he should get court mandated therapy to resolve any issues that he may be having. I can't think of a good resolution to this awful story, for the cop as for the families of the victims.

Determined2014

That is really crazy, first day back to work and you kill a suspect,I wonder what has really gotten into this cop, I do believe that he should not be allowed to work anymore, unless they put him on duties such as being a clerk and no weapons allowed.

donnalynn47

It's really super easy to judge these cops. Just think about their job, and this crazy country we live in. Their job is already dangerous with all these people that think just because they are a certain race they can do whatever they please. Makes being a cop twice as dangerous. If people would stop breeding like rabbit, and living off the government. Go to school get a job, and stop being thugs. The cops wouldn't have to use deadly force. If its me or them let it be them one less to worry about.

DancingLady

10 days is not even close to a long enough break after a shooting incident. He should not have been back on the job so quickly. At this point, whether or not he is indited, I think he should leave the force and make a career change entirely. We really need more police departments to get their officers into good training to neutralize threats without the use of violence. I know it isn't always possible, but it is often possible and every attempt should be made to avoid the use of lethal weapons.

westmixxin

These officers need to be held accountable and the best way to do this is to make sure that you Equip every officer with a camera therefore they know that they're being watched and as long as this camera system is being monitored by an outside party everything will be okay. I'm not saying the crime amongst police officers will disappear but it will greatly lower and I'm estimating at least 70% in the first year.

Determined2014

Maybe , maybe not, it is all tricky, I wonder of he gave out a warning for the victim to disarm himself or he just saw the weapon and decided to fire, it is all crazy, but if he does continue with his job, he should be given office work and not field work.