Woman Arrested For Trying To Kill a Police Officer

Rainman

It's hard to tell if she really meant to kill the police officer since she was drunk but she'll be charged with attempted murder of a police officer anyway.

The woman whilst resisting arrest had reached for the officers gun. The safety was off and as the two wrestled, one trying to keep his gun, the other trying to wrest it from him, the gun went off hitting the officer's pants leg. He wasn't injured though.

LA Times

Would you call that attempted murder?

thegrey1

No I wouldn't call it attempted murder, but it could have been murder. I have to wonder why she was reaching for his gun in the first place? Without knowing what her intentions were, it's hard to know what she should be charged with. I'm confused as to what the charge should be, but clearly this is a very serious offense.

Gabe

It's the highest charge they can go for, then it's proving it. She stole the weapon and one must assume that a weapon is stolen for the aim to kill someone. It may get reduced to assault or threat using a deadly weapon. Because she did use the gun and injured the police officer it can be construed as deadly force, that she did use the gun.

The fact she was drunk means may get a lesser charge though, but stealing the weapon carries another charge.

JoanMcWench

She's going to have a difficult time arguing the reason why she decided it was a good idea to wrestle for a gun with a police officer. What was your intention had you retrieved the gun from the police officer? That's where I assume they're getting this 'attempted murder' charge. It also matters what she was saying during the struggle. Any word if he was wearing a body cam or if the dash caught anything?

Josie

But had he shot and killed her for resisting, it's all just a part of the job. Look up the number of convicted police officers..

She went for the gun.. it's a tricky one, but since it never ended up in her hands (?), no, I don't think the charge fits.

thegrey1

Had he shot and killed her for trying to grab his gun, there would have been riots, looting and burning! That's protocol now when a cop is defending himself against a thug!

Josie

I'm not saying he shouldn't have defended himself and riots are a ridiculous excuse to be stupid.. I'm making a comparison. A cop can murder someone for any number of reasons while on the job and nothing happens.. or desk duty.. or off with pay. yet someone can attempt to grab a cop's gun, not succeed and get attempted murder. They are above the law, plain and simple.

Diane Lane

Yes, it should be attempted murder. I'm sure she wasn't trying to get his gun so she could take it to the range for target practice, and her lack of accuracy shouldn't get her a pass. I don't believe the charge should be lessened because she was intoxicated. No one forced her to get drunk, nor to assault the officer in a deadly fashion.

RingoBerry

The question is, was she completely out of it when she tried to pull that stunt on the cop? Though I'd still say the woman is at fault. She should be aware of how she is when she's intoxicated and should have avoided drinking away from home. I'm kind of 50/50 on the attempted murder part.

mairj23

It's definitely an assault charge for sure. Attempted murder, I cant say. In the heat of the moment, the officer thought she went for his gun but maybe not. This woman should be put in jail though.

missbishi

Whilst I don't condone this womans actions at all, attempted murder does seem a little harsh. However, @DianeLane is right to question what she actually wanted the gun for. Here in the Uk, she'd probably be charged with actual or grevious bodily harm or at a push, attempted manslaughter.

dyanmarie25

No, I don't think it should be considered as attempted murder. She was drunk and obviously, she was out of her right mind, but I know that shouldn't be an excuse. She attacked a police officer, and I think she needed to be charged for her actions, but attempted murder? No.