Would you do it?

Shimus

Being a police officer is supposed to test your mental and emotional ability along with physical work. If you are witnessing your loved one who is breaking the law then you have to make the arrest.

I think we can agree to disagree. You don't have to be the arresting officer to get justice and then the family never knows it was you. If you make the arrest in open, it can shatter relationships, families, all because of one act. I don't think this warrant their loved one turning them in unless the situation was dire enough to begin with. Cops usually always travel with a partner, so there's that. If you're alone and witness it, you have to confront them about it and if they don't respond to you that's when you call in someone else to avoid a scene. It avoids drama and the result is still the same. Gotta think with your head, not just on your emotions.

FuZyOn

I think that you should arrest/give a ticket to everyone who is committing a crime, even if it is your friend or relative. That is how a cop should think too. It's very important that a police officer is ethical and doesn't make expections.
As your friend said, there are a lot of corrupt officers already.

Nate

That's very subjective. I would probably let off a friend if he was speeding a little and had a decent excuse. Not sure I'd let off a friend driving drunk or anything worse than that. Also I have no tolerance for cell phone addicts who can't get their face unglued from their phone while they drive. Makes me pretty angry when I see that.

thegrey1

I think for me it strongly depends about the situation and the crime.

For example, if I'm at a friends house and he lights up a joint, I'm not going to arrest him for possession, that would be ridiculous! If, however, I find a friend stealing I'd have to arrest them, as it's a more serious crime with deeper consequences than the former.
Then you think it would be ok to bend the law a little bit for a friend? What if you caught your worst enemy lighting up a joint? Either you uphold the letter of the law, or you are part of the problem, imo.

Peninha

That is why is always better that we are not involved in situations of people we love or care about because we don't tend to be fair. Above all is the well being of people so that would have to be secured.

Diane Lane

I agree, it's a matter of the particulars of the situation and level of infraction, and often comes down to discretion. I don't have a problem with an officer excusing or giving a ticket to a friend/acquaintance/family member if that is what s/he would do with a stranger, under the same circumstances.

What bothers me is that there is a lot of corruption in certain areas, and that makes it difficult for the good, honest people to get by. It's not fair that some have the resources to pay off cops or other officials, and perpetrate crimes, while John Doe gets arrested for a minor incident. I'm thinking of widespread corruption down by the Texas/Mexico border (no doubt in other states, also), wherein higher up officials have made arrangements with cartels, to look the other way, or even worse, facilitate trafficking of drugs, humans, or goods, for profit. Selling the badge or integrity of an office one is elected or appointed to, is never good.

musicmonster

Really good question and this is definitely why I shouldn't be a cop. I probably would not arrest someone really close to me had he or she committed a crime. It would still depend on the situation and the brevity of the crime though.

RingoBerry

I remember seeing a video on YouTube about a mom who is also a cop. She approached a car because she had grounds to give it a warning. Funny enough she didn't hold back from doing her job even if the driver was his son's friend and the passenger next to the driver was her own son. She clearly stated that she will never overlook anyone who did something wrong even if it was anyone she knew or even closely related to her. I think that's ideal.

Sunflogun

Yes, she was totally professional in that case RingoBerry, I don't know if I would have the capacity to do the same. I guess that with training comes responsibility and that is why she acted like that, the law is for everyone after all so nothing like starting with our own son.

primalclaws1974

Almost certainly, most cops let certain people slide. I live in Iowa. A few years back the Governor's kid killed someone with his car. Granted, it was an accident, but he should have still faced vehicular manslaughter, or something. The kid ended up getting off scot free. As for more simple things, like you said, a mere ticket, I am sure they let their buddies go, fellow police people, etc.

Shimus

We don't dispute it happens, but would you do it personally? I would still make sure they faced justice, just not dispensed from mine own hand. It seems wrong, and like I said handled the wrong way can long term damage a relationship with no real reason behind it.

Josie

Nope, couldn't do it. If they were hurting someone, yes. If they COULD hurt someone with what they're doing, unintentionally, I probably still couldn't do it, but would want to (no arrests though).. which is one of a bazillion reasons I couldn't be a cop lol. I don't believe in the system, so I couldn't back most of what would be expected of me.

oraclemay

I think that you are allowed to give a warning in these instances and so that is exactly what I would do. I would make it very clear that if I caught them again they would be ticketed or arrested without warning. Most cops work in pairs, so you can always get your partner to arrest friends or family members. it is vitally important for a police officer to uphold the law in all circumstances.

lushlala

I too would be inclined to give them a first warning and make it clear that it wouldn't the same next time, pretty much like i would somebody I didn't know. BUT of course, if it were a more serious crime like if I found out the friend was implicated in something very nasty like murder, I couldn't live with knowing I had covered for them. I'd have to report it to the authorities, who could probably exempt me from working on the case due to the conflict of interest aspect.

katherine25

Personally I think it all depends on the crime they were committing. If it was something minor than I would probably let me them off with it but once, if I ever caught them again I would definitely fine them. Of course if the crime was serious then I wouldn't hesitate to arrest them.