Would you turn a loved one in?

Mackmax

If a loved one of yours were to commit a murder and confessed to you about it, would you turn them in?
If not, what would you do?
I think I'd turn them in immediately in fear that they might go all "Now that you know, I have to kill you". I also just cannot have that on my conscience.

primalclaws1974

That's a tough one. If you look at it from a legal standpoint, you would be an accessory to the crime if you didn't turn them in. That means you could do life in prison, just for keeping your mouth closed! The dedication to family is strong, and I would hate to lose the person if they were close to me (like my wife, for example), but if both parents went to prison, where would my kids be? I probably would turn them in. I would have to.

Peachdejour

I don't know if you would be an accessory to the crime if you know of them doing a crime. Counselors know of crimes and are not considered accessories. They are only required to report harm to the client or another person. Now, if you still had the items they stole in your home and those sorts of things then it gets really murky. I do see the point of it's better to only have one parent in jail than both parents in jail. If it came down to that type of scenario, I would turn in my spouse.

LitoLawless

It really depends on what they do. If it was a really heinous crime like mass murder, or involvement in a string of high profile bank robberies then I would feel as though I have no choice. If it was a misdemeanor of any sort then I wouldn't even waste my time with it at all.

Onionman

I think I would. It's a tough one because your loyalties are invariably split and what you know is right isn't always what your heart is saying. I would like to think I would do the "right thing", whatever that actually is.

Kittyworker

I don't know, I guess it really depends on the circumstances, or at least what they tell me those circumstances were. If it were just because they wanted to or because they were "in the way" then I absolutely would.

shilpa123

I do not think I have ever thought about this situation before. I do believe that it is really sad that such a thing would have happened. I think it is quite sad and I hope I do not face such a situation ever. But If a such a situation arises, I am sure to take my family member in.

weepforsweep

I would tell the family about it and they could give me advice. In most cases, I would have to go to the police because I would fear for my life.

Muthoni

If they confessed to me that they killed someone, I would beg them to turn themselves in. if they refuse, I would turn them in with a broken heart. We do not want to believe that the people we love can be criminals. I hope to God that I never have to be in that position.

I think I would tell them to turn themselves in because the situation will only be worse if they have to be brought in.
I think it would also depend on the crime.

stevesxs9

If they're in enough trouble to get themselves killed, then I would turned them in being concerned that they won't be harmed. That would be the reason I would turn them in.

mrsbright

Hard question. If I thought they were dangerous to society and had no good reason at all, it would make it easier. But I think I'd be pissed and confused that they were putting me in this situation. What for? Do they tell me because they trust me so much that I know I could never betray them no matter what? Or because they secretly wish to be caught and to not have the guilt and fear of 'maybe's cloud their life?

On the part where it would make me an accomplice or guilty... I think it's unfair that lawyers get to protect the devious secrets of their clients and all and that we don't judge them badly for hiding the fact that they are trying to bring murderers, rapists and thieves back into the streets not because they love them and know that they are good people inside, but just because it's their jobs and they get paid for it.

How does that make any sense?

shamanas

Depends on what they did and if I consider it an "insignificant" crime or not.
I mean, if what they did seriously hurt people and was unethical as well, I think I definitively would.

Josie

Oh my god, what a horrible situation. I have no idea what I would do. If it were in the heat of a tantrum, yes, I would. If it were self defence or something obviously not out of retaliation or something.. I don't know. It really, really depends on what happened. Or not.. I have total respect for human life and I can't put that ahead of my need to keep someone I love in my life. Ugh.. I have no idea how to answer this lol.

Gelsemium

Yes, it's a terrible situation and at this point I can't say for sure, but I would do what would be best for the loved one to change his life and repair the damages done.

DancingLady

I would. If I didn't and it became known that I was aware of it but hadn't said anything, I might also end up charged with a serious crime, and that would only cause more pain and suffering to the rest of the family.

bala

Arghh a question that will require loads of thought process,but still i would rather think of the dire consequences and the situation first.if its wise to save my loved one,i surely would,lest i would turn her in.

GemmaRowlands

This is a very difficult thing to think about, for a number of reasons. The main thing to think about would be that you love the person, but they had taken somebody else's life. So although you want the best for them, there's no way that you can be on their side in this situation. Also, if it was ever found out that you covered up for them, then chances are that you would be punished as well, as you prevented justice from being served. More often than not, the truth will come out, and this means that you should protect yourself if you ever find out something about a serious crime. You can still be supportive to your family whilst they are serving their sentence, and they will understand, in time, that what you did was for the best.

Rainman

Depends entirely on why the murder was committed. If it was in self-defense and they had no intention of robbing that person of their life then I wouldn't turn that "loved one" in. However if it was a premeditated murder then I'd have no options but to inform the cops about the murder and who the murderer was.

dyanmarie25

That's really a difficult question. I guess it depends on the reasons why he/she committed the crime. What if this loved one of mine was really the victim, and he/she just tried to protect herself/himself, sort of a self-defense which resulted into a fatal accident. It's really tough. But if it's for the better, I guess I would turn that person in.