Could you have a misdemeanor and still be a cop

Profit5500

I was not sure if this question got answered or not on this site. I was wondering if you have a expunged misdemeanor could you still be able to become a cop? I always wanted to know about this and I just want to know what people thought about it.

GemmaRowlands

It depends completely on what you're calling a misdemeanour, and how long ago it was, and how you're going to be able to explain it when you're asked about it should you reach any kind of interview stage. If you have been in trouble for taking drugs but can convince them that it was when you were a teenager and pressured into it, and that you haven't done it since, then there is a chance that they would overlook it. If, however, it was to do with you attacking somebody for no reason and you were charged for it then this is different and altogether more serious, and certainly not something that it would be likely for them to overlook in order to allow you to become a police officer.

Rainman

I believe the nature of the misdemeanor is taken into account for the sake of fairness. The seriousness of misdemeanors vary as GemmaRowlands points out. So the Oral Board will be looking at a host of factors before deciding whether you are eligible.
It is not uncommon for police officers to have criminal records.
There are some offenses which can get you disqualified for example: Use of drugs/Selling of drugs.

januz101

Depending on you present demeanor, you are going to be evaluated by a panel if ever you are going to apply as a police officer. Of course it will not good look on you resume if you were a previous serial killer, rapist and terrorist. And even if you pass all this, you are still going to be evaluated by a neuro exam.

milyjohnson

I agree with the others. It probably does depend on the misdemeanor. If you did something serious, they will most likely not want you on the force. My brother and friend didn't commit a misdemeanor so I'm not really sure if they frown upon officers having a record.

Profit5500

That is the thing though I think if its something like battery or assault you would be disqualified from being a police officer. I am not entirely sure so I cannot speak for the people who are in jail though. I wonder what about the wrongfully accused people who would want to be police officers too.

js85

As everyone else has said, I'm sure it's all subjective for what it is. But the nature of a misdemeanor is that it's lower scale and easily reevaluated.