Denver police chief wants to equip 800 officers with body cameras

KrustyKrabella

This is a heated hot button issue. Personally, I think it's a great idea. Cameras protect the public, sure, but they also protect the police. Now there can be recorded proof when a civilian says the police used excessive force, and will wipe out false claims of abuse entirely.

There are even studies that show filming interactions with police improves the behavior of both parties. Cameras tend to do that, I guess.

What do you think? I'm all for them, but I know a lot of LEOs don't want them.

stevesxs9

It sounds like it could be something to experiment with. But people are going to see and believe what they want regardless of what the video shows.

AnthonyM83

I think this is an incredible idea that will help greatly with police corruption and reform. It will protect the cops that follow the law, yet protect the citizens who are victims of corruption and abuse.

cpefley

I do not see a problem with body cameras on police officers. It doesn't only protect the officer, but the civilians as well. I think it will hold them accountable for their actions.

Profit5500

I think with the body cameras on the police officers it would make communication easier between the officer and the subject. Knowing that the camera would be on the officer there would be less police brutality on the public so we would not have another Ferguson Missouri. I'd say let the chief of Denver police equip those officers with those cameras so work can be more professional. Even with a dash cam some things could have taken place off screen so having a body camera allows you to see from the officer point of view what happened. So this would mean that less civil complaints would be filed.

DancingLady

I think they should do it. In California they have already had good success with cameras leading to fewer uses of force and fewer complaints against officers. I think it is just a good accountability thing for both the officers and the public.

shreklock

This is a very good idea, and I think everywhere in the world it should be a thing. It would cut down bribes and make it easier to judge offenders in court.

askanison

I don't see the issue. I would want video there to back me up when something happens. If you don't want the video cameras you woould have to give a great reason as to why not. It seems like a win win to me for everyone involved.

JoshPosh

Banned
This is a heated hot button issue. Personally, I think it's a great idea. Cameras protect the public, sure, but they also protect the police. Now there can be recorded proof when a civilian says the police used excessive force, and will wipe out false claims of abuse entirely.

There are even studies that show filming interactions with police improves the behavior of both parties. Cameras tend to do that, I guess.

What do you think? I'm all for them, but I know a lot of LEOs don't want them.

I think its a great idea as well. Let everyone know what exactly is going on. However, it does goes both ways. Civilians are allowed to film police officers as well. If you feel like they are pushing their weight around unjustly, then film them.

We have the technology and it is not all that expensive, much less most of the required equipment the police have to carry.

I personally believe most tales of police abuse are a bit exaggerated by a subject who instigates the events leading up to the use of force by an officer, good audio and video evidence goes a long way in a court room and will may even help police departments save money on drawn out frivolous lawsuits based on nothing but testimony of often less than credible witnesses.

Obviously these cameras will go a long way in stopping the isolated legitimate cases of police abuse of power and prosecuting the ones responsible.

I am all for the cameras on cops!

Patrick

We have the technology and it is not all that expensive, much less most of the required equipment the police have to carry.

I personally believe most tales of police abuse are a bit exaggerated by a subject who instigates the events leading up to the use of force by an officer, good audio and video evidence goes a long way in a court room and will may even help police departments save money on drawn out frivolous lawsuits based on nothing but testimony of often less than credible witnesses.

Obviously these cameras will go a long way in stopping the isolated legitimate cases of police abuse of power and prosecuting the ones responsible.

I am all for the cameras on cops!

Video evidence is infinitely better and more reliable than any oral testimony, be it from a police officer or witness. With the only limitation being the cost of implementation, I sincerely hope that this becomes a nationwide standard, as it already is in many European countries.

Peninha

Awesome idea if there is a budget for this, a camera will be the testimony of everything they say.

Strykstar

Better safe than sorry, some people might try to take advantage of officers and people can start filming whenever they want, it's only fair that police officers can easily film them back.

Yes, this seems like a great idea. Having cameras while two parties' interact would naturally make both obliged to be 100% lawful in their conduct. I would say that they try out said cameras in a state or two and check if they are practical and successful. If so, I would hope that most, if not all, states will follow suit.

dolittle94

I don't see the issue. I would want video there to back me up when something happens. If you don't want the video cameras you woould have to give a great reason as to why not. It seems like a win win to me for everyone involved.
I agree with you. This has the potential to be good for both the cop and the civilian. If the civilian get's out of line, doesn't cooperate, or tries to assault an officer then they have proof that it was actually necessary to use force. If a cop crosses the line with a civilian and is being unfair, racist, or using brute force without reason, then the civilian has a case right there. It could possibly be a step towards lessening the hostility between civilians and the police force.

Onionman

I'm definitely for them. If everyone else is walking around with a camera in the form of a smartphone, why shouldn't the police have them?

If you've got nothing to hide and everything to gain from carrying a camera then it makes perfect sense to me.

sillylucy

I think the cameras would be a great help, but you will get people saying that it is an invasion of privacy. What about faulty cameras are footage that is "lost" this might make a police officer look suspicious in trial.

primalclaws1974

I have been saying this should be done in all police forces for quite some time. In most cases I believe that a body camera would be in the interests of the officer. This would protect him if someone says he did something illegal. This would also lead to his killer if he was taken out in the line of duty.

Determined2014

It is a good idea, it does protect both parties, the civilian and the police, there does not need to be any false witnesses involved, any proof needed for every statement will be right there on the camera, so it is a good idea.

Gelsemium

One concern is if this wouldn't be too intrusive for them, but as long as they have the option to turn them off, it's fine.