Do You Think Gun Cams Should Be Mandated?

Onionman

I think that would be an excellent move. We live in a society where everyone walks around with a camera in the form of their smartphone and can upload an incident instantly on social media, whether it's true or biased.

At least with a gun cam you can get an official recording of an event, rather than relying on "he said", "she said" and misrepresentation.

Mackmax

I would like to believe that instilling gun cams would work, but something tells me that it won't.
There have been many incidents where the police officer was being recorded by a bystander, and knew they were being recorded, yet still continued to be brutal. And considering there are already surveillance cameras on every corner, cops may not care that they're being recorded.
Plus, can't cops use the "I forgot to turn my camera on." or "My camera wasn't working." excuse?
I don't know much about this method, but there seems to be many loopholes.

LitoLawless

I've heard of cameras getting installed on the police officer's uniforms but I've never heard of gun cams. I actually think that gun cams would be a really good idea. There would be no doubt about certain shootings if we see exactly where the gun was pointed.

Hengista

I think both body cameras and gun cameras would be excellent, common use items. It allows for superiors to review the officer's conduct, cases in court to have more visual evidence, and would increase public security because it would be unlikely for a police officer to abuse his powers on record.