Do you think some rules are meant to be broken?

dyanmarie25

I've always been a good girl, and most of the time, I follow all the rules and regulations. But sometimes, there are rules that are just so pointless, you couldn't help but break them. Anyway, as long as you don't kill/steal/hurt/abuse other people, I think it's fine to break some rules.

FuZyOn

There are some rules that are utterly pointless and a lot of people choose to not follow them. I think that you can break some rules, but you have to not cross the boundaries of sanity (if you decide to kill people, steal and so on).

Diane Lane

I think most laws exist for a reason, and for the most part, I follow them. I understand why there are speed limits, but I like to think of them as guidelines, not hard and fast. Sometimes it's necessary to speed, for instance, in order to get away from someone who is driving erratically. If the road is empty, I might drive faster, and a pet peeve of mine is having to sit at red lights on empty roads, in the middle of the night. However, I would never weave in and out of traffic, endangering myself or others. I don't do drugs, and I'm happy to see the police driving through the neighborhood.

There are some laws/rules that I think are ridiculous, and need to be addressed. One is the situation mentioned above, about feeding homeless people. I'm sure the rules were enacted partly to protect people from food that could be unsafe, but I think it's important to take care of people when they need help, and that's one rule I would probably break. Another is the ridiculous rules here in my neighborhood about feeding stray animals. Animal Control is all up in our business if we feed strays, but does nothing about vicious dogs running loose, coyotes tearing apart pets, people dumping their animals here, etc. I think each governmental body should periodically review laws and rules, to determine whether or not they still serve a purpose, and whether or not that purpose could be better met by rewriting or rescinding them.

bala

There are some rules that are utterly pointless and a lot of people choose to not follow them. I think that you can break some rules, but you have to not cross the boundaries of sanity (if you decide to kill people, steal and so on).
YOu saying we should adhere to rules that actually are of the highest order and that the ones that deal with the highest priority.
I too of a personal stance would surely love breaking a few rules that don't get me noticed and don't get me hogged up in the limelight.

lushlala

Morally there are only two rules I consider sacred - 'Do not kill' and 'Do not steal'. But even with these two, a situation may arise where it would be necessary to break them. For example, in defense of your loved ones from a life threatening person/animal, or if a child was starving and there was a bounty of food somewhere of which I could not get, then you can guess what I would resort to next.

I totally agree with you, headmaster! I couldn't have put it better myself. I generally stick to rules, they're there for a reason. If I were to break any, it would be for a VERY good reason. That's not to say I'm always good LOL As long as I'm not doing anything out there nasty, committing a crime or deliberately hurting or endangering people's lives. I do sometimes bend the rules a little or even break them altogether. I guess we all do, well most of us anyway.