Friends in the academy: Helpful or distraction?

Riggy

Does making friends in the academy help you out in anyway or do you feel as it's "every man for himself" and you need to put away any sorts of distractions so you can purely focus on your end goal?

Profit5500

I think that having a support magnet in the academy would be something that some cadets need to get through. The academy is made to test your mettle which you have to be able to handle stress appropriately. You can get distracted by friends anywhere I do not think making a friend in the academy would not affect your performance as a officer.

Riggy

What I mean is that people in the academy could perhaps "sabotage" your chances of performing at your best as they may desperately want the position. I guess that's really another topics when I think about it...

Gelsemium

I think that it's ok to have friends in the academy, but we should not forget our primary goal there is to become an officer and not to make friends.

JoshPosh

Banned
If the people that you meet in the academy have the same goals and are driven just like you, then that should only help you. Surround yourself with the right people and you should prosper.

Teens In Crisis

I would think that people who intend to sabotage others will eventually be weeded out. I would suggest doing what comes natural and focusing on your own strengths. I don't think you'll have to worry about sabotage all that often.

Gelsemium

Yep, we need to focus on what we are doing there and leave friends to second plan or else we just might get ourselves in trouble.

Profit5500

What I mean is that people in the academy could perhaps "sabotage" your chances of performing at your best as they may desperately want the position. I guess that's really another topics when I think about it...
I do not think the other cadets should even be there to sabotage your chances to get through the academy. Everyone should be there to help assist one another. If issues were to arise then I would assume that the trainees would have caught something.

shilpa123

I believe that friends in the academy can be really useful. They would definitely love to be with you and you would feel the same. I think a lot of people would never consider it as a distraction. A lot of people would enjoy having friends.*

ally79

I think that friends in the academy would be a good thing. Those are certainly the people who are going to most understand what it is that you are going through and are trying to accomplish. You are all going to graduate as rookies so there isn't an opportunity for someone else to sabotage a career.

LitoLawless

I fell like it will be helpful in some ways and a distraction in some ways. When I was in college, having my friends there actually made me want to go to school more, but when I was in school I wouldn't go to class until I saw at least one of them. So it's a catch-22 type situation for sure.

shilpa123

I believe that friends in the academy can be quite helpful in every possible way. Academy training is quite a tough one and I believe that one should be happy if they have friends working there.

JulianWilliams

Police work is usually done in teams so you definitely need to be able to integrate into a group. It would be impossible to train police officers if it was every man for himself in the academy. They need to learn how to work as a team. Also, it's cool to have people you get along with to hang out whenever you have some down time.

missbishi

I don't think others in the academy would attempt to sabotage your chances. After all, academy is not a competition, it is an individual trial. There are no first places and booby prizes, it's a simple "in" or "out". The chances are, if you are happy at the academy then you will do well and part of this happiness will involve getting along fine with everyone else.

Shimus

I would think that it would help. As was mentioned, it's not a competition. It's a single-trial. And what do trials have in common? They unite people going through similar experiences. I think this is no different in a police academy. You need friends no matter where you are. No matter the situation, it will offer distractions, to be true - however, building the "partner" bonds that the academy focus upon, you'll find more than a few candidates to hang out with I'm sure!

Peninha

I think there should be a separation between professional and friendship, but if we make friends in the academy as long as we don't get distracted we are fine.

Owl

I think having friends in any kind of schooling can be really distracting. As long as you have the self control to ignore them, it should be fine, but it's still a risk. Hopefully you would be making some friends there as well.

Shimus

You don't need to (and shouldn't always) rely on yourself and only yourself to pass even a trial meant for one person. You're never working alone generally, having a partner or a radio for call in for backup. All of those people may have been friends you had, which means they'd be all over the protect and serve. This is assuming both people are good, morally upstanding police officers. We know this to not always be the case, but still. There's going to be distractions anywhere you turn to or go, so I'd rather a pillar of support I can rely on in those dark times. I want to know the guy I'm going through this with is going to have my back even that much more on the outside.

shilpa123

I believe that having friends in the academy is of great help to the people. I believe that the having friends can help you ease off all the tough times your going through.

shilpa123

I believe friends are helpful and not really a distraction. The friends are always there and help you when you need something in or want to do something.