Have you ever been in a riot?

Riggy

Either part of it or against it? How was it and if you were police, how were you feeling in the situation?

Profit5500

Riots are not pleasant for both sides whether the law strikes first or the citizen. Even with the Chicago riots years ago when Martin L. King Jr was murdered up to right now with Ferguson its depressing. In a riot you the officer have to realize that those rioters in the end are all people are emotionally frustrated which I do understand. At the same time you have to put certain things behind you and move forward when wearing the badge and uniform.

Gelsemium

I've never been in a riot and they are not common at all in my country. I guess that if a riot was near me I'd go home and just stay safe there.

GemmaRowlands

Yes, I have. I understand that they might not be as serious in my country as they are in a lot of others, but the truth still stands that it was very scary, even for a trained professional, and not particularly something that I would like to repeat in a hurry. There were so many people, most of them had very little regard for the police at all, and others deliberately tried to aim their attacks at us. Luckily it was not a long riot and things calmed down within a couple of days, but even so it was not very nice, so I would not wish it on anybody.

Rainman

I missed being in riot by minutes. I'd been in town for business and I stayed in the office longer than I had planned to. When I got back on the streets . . . there was on the streets [which was odd]. I picked up an injured hitch-hiker a little later who told me there'd been some confrontation between cops and rioters and amidst the melee he'd injured. Riots? You certainly don't want to be a combatant or the one sent to quell the riot.

milyjohnson

I have never been in a riot, but I would imagine how terrible it must be or how dangerous it is. I can only imagine what police officers go through during riots. I would be afraid if I were involved in one, especially if I were a police officer.

Riggy

Yes, I have. I understand that they might not be as serious in my country as they are in a lot of others, but the truth still stands that it was very scary, even for a trained professional, and not particularly something that I would like to repeat in a hurry. There were so many people, most of them had very little regard for the police at all, and others deliberately tried to aim their attacks at us. Luckily it was not a long riot and things calmed down within a couple of days, but even so it was not very nice, so I would not wish it on anybody.

Care to share a little more? What was the right about, what were they throwing and were you around other officers that were "new" to a riot as well? I can only imagine the confusion for the officers if most of the were new to a riot and they weren't sure exactly what to do.

Gelsemium

I am not a guy that goes to manifestations of places where riots can happen, I prefer to stay away, why risk my life or get myself into trouble?

js85

I never have been and never plan to be. I really disagree with the idea that anarchy is a good medium to convey a message of unhappiness. If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

Riggy

I am not a guy that goes to manifestations of places where riots can happen, I prefer to stay away, why risk my life or get myself into trouble?

I completely agree with you but this thread was more so out of the perspective of the person in the riot. Either part of the cause or part of the police force. I didn't want this thread to be an opinion thread.

bala

Yes,it was for the fishermen's cause.I was just standing there under the scorching sun yelling to the cops out there,the slongans along with many others.The cops then evicted us all of a sudden with lathis and we were defenseless.I got a few hits on my ass,really thwacks,but i scampered across for safety.

youngtag

Yes I have ever been in a riot at the age of thirteen but believe me that was my darkest day in my life.
I almost lost my leg and since then I have never liked or wished to see nor get close to those to any riot.

Peninha

I once was in a football stadium and violence spread, that wasn't exactly a riot, but was scary enough. Luckily it was not too close to me.

januz101

I have participated in a riot once and it was all sweaty, dusty and dangerous. As stones and other hard objects like bottle and wood are randomly thrown your way.. And I was sorry for my actions. It was due to a fight between rival fraternity back in college. I was young and stupid back then..

oraclemay

I can imagine how dangerous it mus be and you never know when it may get out of control. In general I prefer to avoid crowds. I have never liked the idea of being in a crowd of people. I prefer to avoid any place where there are large crowds.