Have you ever stolen anything?

primalclaws1974

I am sure most people have stolen something in their lives, even if it's a grape at the store they "sampled" or pirated media. But I mean have you ever shoplifted or taken property that wasn't yours? I used to shoplift occasionally at 14-15. It was small things like cassette tapes. I was lucky I was never caught. I outgrew it. I haven't stole anything in a very long time, and if my children were ever caught, I would hit the roof. Were you ever caught? What were the consequences legally or otherwise?

missbishi

I stole some make up from a drugstore when I was 15. I got caught! Looking back, I'm glad I did. If I'd have thought I could have got away with it again, I would have done it so I'm glad I was stopped before I got into serious trouble. I just got a stern ticking off, from both the police and my mother. I also got grounded for a month!

ally79

Nope, I never stole anything but my husband did as a teen, stupid stuff like a Coke or a pack of cigarettes to smoke with his friends. To my horror, my oldest daughter stole a candy bar at the dollar store when she was about two and a half. I marched her right back in and paid for it and then didn't let her have it.

Kittyworker

I've stolen pens and pencils frequently enough. Whether by accident or because I needed one and liked the way one worked that was lent to me.

LitoLawless

I remember when I use to be a kid I would always nab a little bit of candy from those WoolWorth stores. They use to have them all out in the open, and you couldn't put a security device on a piece of candy.

tanker

I think it is a stage we all go through when growing up. So I stole small items like pens and pencils when I was a kid. But when I got older I started to realize the consequences of my actions. Unfortunately some people never grow up.

primalclaws1974

I have three children. One is a young adult and the other two are nine and three. I made it sound like none of them stole anything, which is partially true. My three-year-old TRIED to steal a toy/candy combo they usually have at the checkout counter. She usually messes with them while I am paying for groceries at a particular store, so I don't say too much. I won't buy them, because they are crazy-expensive, but it keeps her entertained while I am finishing up. We started walking out the door and I noticed she had her hands behind her back. I asked to see, and she had the toy! Since we weren't out of the store yet, I didn't say anything to a clerk (I would have otherwise). I chastised her all the way home. I sort of feel guilty, even now, even though this was a month ago, but I want her to learn her lessons younger than I did.

fliktor7

When I was a kid I stole pencils and things like that, I was a kid xD as a teenager I made a lot of stupid things, but I never stole anything, physically I mean, I have downloaded tons of movies, videogames and things like that, in fact, sometimes I still download things, but not so much as in the old times xD

I stole food, mom was to busy gambling to buy anything to leave us while she was gone so I would ask people for change so I could buy at least one item, like a lemon or a lime and would take a couple of bananas from a bunch and put them in my sweatshirt front pocket and then two rolls or bagels from the self serve bakery area. I am sure I looked guilty as can be at the register paying for the lime because I could always hear and feel my heart beat in my head. I would grab my sisters hand and run without looking back once I was out of the store. At some point I got smart and started going to the Deli downstairs from the apartment we lived in and would say "put it on my moms tab" after she had sent me to get some things and told me "tell George to put it in my tab" she paid the tab monthly so was about two weeks before she realized I was doing this.

Kittyworker

I think it is a stage we all go through when growing up. So I stole small items like pens and pencils when I was a kid. But when I got older I started to realize the consequences of my actions. Unfortunately some people never grow up.

Yes i agree with you. I also think that certain people feel that its okay to steal because no ones watching (opportunistic theft). There's the people who are genuinely struggling and are just looking to feed their families. Then there's those scum that make it their own little business. The ones who actually travel out of town for the purpose of stealing from stores. It is the third one that we need to keep a grip on.

primalclaws1974

That's a sad story, Micheleteresea. Although it is technically a crime, I have a hard time seeing it as such when someone is trying to eat, or feed others that can't get food on their own. If you had ever been caught, I would have hoped you would have explained it, and they would have got you and your sister somewhere where they took care of you properly. I don't know your relationship with your mother these days, but that's just unforgiveable.

Profit5500

I have never stolen a thing since I know if I try that stuff then I would get caught and never be heard from again. I have been around people in school who have stolen stuff. I believe those individuals got caught. Stealing is not worth your life being lost over. If you steal you would get caught for it. Although there are people who have not been caught, there are individuals who are extremely lucky.

Mackmax

I've never stolen anything from a store. I've almost accidentally stolen multiple times. I'll go to a shop, try on some bracelets and necklaces, I completely forget to put them back, and voila, the alarm system goes off as soon as I step foot outside the door, lol. Luckily the employees always know that it was just an accident, so I've never been charged. I went shopping with a friend once and she tried to steal a pair of earrings, but I talked her out of it.

primalclaws1974

You are lucky that the employees decided to believe you. I don't think I have that innocent of a face. There have been times when I was very hard up for money that I considered stealing stuff, like over-the-counter medicine that I needed, and the money could have went to something else, like a bill. But in the end, it just wasn't worth the risk. The last thing I need to have is a thief on my record. That is almost as bad as drugs for a lot of potential jobs.

shilpa123

I might have stolen few money from my parents which I have definitely given back. I believe each everybody steals at least once in their life.

RingoBerry

Yep. I took more than a dozen bottles of booze from my uncle's shop. Smokes too. I think he knew though. I also broke in to a house and "borrowed" their dog. We just meant to feed it but the little rascal ran away, so I guess I pretty much stole it too.

shilpa123

I believe I have stolen quite a few things mostly money from my parents. Nothing else I do remember taking. But I do believe I have given them the money also.

JoanMcWench

When I was a kid we had one of those dollar stores that sold things that were definitely more than a dollar. I was probably ten when I did it but I walked in & stole a pack of gum I slid into my shoe. Funnily enough the person I was with ended up stealing some toys & got caught. I just stood there shaking my head at him as he was chastised & shaken by the store owner with the stolen gum in my sneaker.

Shimus

The only thing I ever took or stole was a pack of gum when I was thirteen or so. Landed me in community service cleaning my school. I learned my lesson and never did anything stupid again, just stayed away from people and kids and hung out online, locked in a room.

It was a safety net of a sort; but this was the only time I thought/took anything. I figure if you need something bad enough, ask the person who has it first before anything. They might be willing to lend or give them to you if you have a good reason. If you're stealing for addictions or to do stupid things I think there's no sense to do it. It'll only end badly. Unless you get hooked on the feeling and can't stop, then that goes back into addictions and stupid things category.

shilpa123

Sometimes I think it is fun and find it quite awesome. I have only stolen very small things from my parents. I usually do not take things from any one else.