How old are most students who typically enter a police academy?

Fury

I've never seriously considered being a police officer, and I figure most people who want to become police officers are younger than university age. Looks like my degree is pretty worthless, though, so anything is an option at this point.

ReDGuNNeR

Most academies are looking for recruits striahgt out of highschool, but don't let that scare you away. Every organization and department has its own measures and guidelines regarding their hiring practices. If you are dead set on a career in law enforcement then you should find out every possible opportunity. Calling your local agency is your best bet but some jurisdictions do have their hiring practices on-line as it is usually a hectic time when they do open them.

Your university experience may help you but most of the training in the academy is highly specialized. Even those with a degree in Criminal Justice must still undertake the majority of police academy academics, so its no big deal. The average age of hires should not put you off from your dream!

joshua minaya

When it comes to the average age of joining the police force I believe that could be a very relative question from my observation i believe most recruits are usually around their early 20's if you ask me.

Rainman

It varies from place to place or country to country if I have to be more specific. In some countries they have a preference for younger officers so recruits will be young. In their early 20s as it's been mentioned. Elsewhere though, they prefer hiring officers who are over the age of 26. In the UK for example:
To apply for an English or Welsh Police Force General Entry Requirements - Constable The basic criteria required for application is: * Aged between 18 ½ years and 55 years (age limit can vary depending on the force)
In Texas:
# # Age Requirements: 21-44 years of age (cannot have reached 45 years of age by date of civil service exam)

Rainman

If you are eligible in your area, why not give it a try? You'd have to remember that you must be willing to risk your life almost daily in the line of duty. But if you've set your heart on it, why not give it a try? I suppose you can fill out an application form online.

Profit5500

Not only do you have to risk your life but you must be sharp and mentally alert at all times. You have lots of examination to clear through but if you are determined then why not go for it. You also should start exercising so you would be in top shape for the academy.

GemmaRowlands

It's never too late, and you might find that your degree is actually helpful, as it will have given you a lot of life experience and other types of skills along the way that you can use to your advantage here. The only thing that I would say is that the fitness side of the job is a huge thing to be aware of, and you absolutely have to be able to match the younger candidates step for step. This isn't a problem for many people, particularly if you've trained during your degree, but equally you might find that you're not able to keep up, and this could cause you to fail getting the position that you dreamed of all this time.

milyjohnson

It never occurred to me that there was an age limit. My friend joined the force in her late 20s early 30s. I can't remember which one. She always wanted to be a police officer, but she had her daughter so she put her dream on hold until she got older. Now she couldn't be happier. With that said, it's never too late to become a police officer.

Profit5500

It never occurred to me that there was an age limit. My friend joined the force in her late 20s early 30s. I can't remember which one. She always wanted to be a police officer, but she had her daughter so she put her dream on hold until she got older. Now she couldn't be happier. With that said, it's never too late to become a police officer.
You just got to be in great shape before joining the police force. I would definitely think of joining the military to mentally prepare yourself for the police force.

sillylucy

My step-dad entered police academy when he was 19. He was in a junior academy, but never finished because he got his first wife pregnant. I think it was a year junior program.

Gelsemium

I think that some "students" are eager to serve, while others are just looking for a job. Being a police is not just any kind of job though.

Strykstar

You just got to be in great shape before joining the police force. I would definitely think of joining the military to mentally prepare yourself for the police force.

It's a bit contradicting that you need to be in great shape to join the police force, because we see lots of out of shape cops around... There's even the stereotype of cops and donuts...

Profit5500

I think that some "students" are eager to serve, while others are just looking for a job. Being a police is not just any kind of job though.
The eagerness is greatly important in the academy. I sit and observe that most these people enter the academy makes things is good.

Profit5500

It's a bit contradicting that you need to be in great shape to join the police force, because we see lots of out of shape cops around... There's even the stereotype of cops and donuts...
There are out of shape cops around but I think that they have a fitness test they have to go through every year. Being a officer you would have to fit enough to chase down the suspects so you would not lose them. The worst thing is to lose a criminal who you were chasing down since they were wanted for committing a robbery.

shilpa123

I think most of them are between the age group of 20-30 years old. I believe that most of them are pretty young. I think that a lot of people prefer to join at a younger age as there is no much use of degree over here.*

shilpa123

Most of the students who enter ate graduates. I do believe that the age would be around 25.it is the optimum age to start training.

shilpa123

I do believe that most of them have just finished their teenager. If their young they usually respond better to training.

JoanMcWench

My relatively uneducated guess would be early or mid twenties. It just makes sense. You want to get in there as early as you can while also being able to uphold laws you have to abide by. So, that would be the ratio I would imagine.