How To Act When Being Pulled Over

Teens In Crisis

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or practices that they participate in while being stopped for traffic violations or other offenses.

I personally make sure that I greet the officer with a smile, call him sir, and ALWAYS ask permission before reaching into things like the glovebox and privacy panels. If I was blatantly doing something wrong, I will usually apologize without making an excuse for the action and acknowledge that they are doing their job. This seems to put the officers in a relaxed frame of mind, and has worked well. Often I'll get a warning and a "have a nice day" rather than 'tude and a fine. What about you guys?

januz101

Some people just dont have respect for authority and they often forget their manners elsewhere. There is nothing wrong with being polite and its common knowledge that police officers are our friends and we should treat them with respect. If by any reason that we are asked to pull over then its just easy if we comply, lets not make matters worse.

askanison

I have found it best to just smile and take the ticket without arguing anything. It makes the whole traffic stop better and faster. You can argue the ticket later in court to a much better degree and I have gotten out of several tickets this way. I have friends who get mad and give the officer hell, but really the guy is just doing his job.

Patrick

Definitely smile and not appear suspicious/angry, but do not act overly jovial and friendly. If you are polite and courteous enough to the police officer, such that you openly respect his authority without looking like a brown nose, it is more likely to be let off with a warning.

DancingLady

Being polite is the most important thing. No one likes to deal with someone who has an attitude, so if you are nice to them it will go way better for you.

JoshPosh

Banned
I was wondering if anyone has any tips or practices that they participate in while being stopped for traffic violations or other offenses.

I personally make sure that I greet the officer with a smile, call him sir, and ALWAYS ask permission before reaching into things like the glovebox and privacy panels. If I was blatantly doing something wrong, I will usually apologize without making an excuse for the action and acknowledge that they are doing their job. This seems to put the officers in a relaxed frame of mind, and has worked well. Often I'll get a warning and a "have a nice day" rather than 'tude and a fine. What about you guys?

I have been pulled over before for speeding so I know how its played out. I know I'm guilty for speeding, it was obvious. I usually just agree that I was speeding and apologize. From there I ask if I can reach for the glove compartment to get my registration paperwork. At no time am I defensive. I just stay cool and accept the ticket.

Teens In Crisis

I have been pulled over before for speeding so I know how its played out. I know I'm guilty for speeding, it was obvious. I usually just agree that I was speeding and apologize. From there I ask if I can reach for the glove compartment to get my registration paperwork. At no time am I defensive. I just stay cool and accept the ticket.

I love this response. I too am also usually, while not outright admitting, willing to accept responsibility for something that I blatantly do. I'm all for personal responsibility in cases like this, and I think that the officers appreciate that, and understand that sometimes it happens.

This is 100 percent the way to go. In my experience, being up front about everything is the way to go. If you know why you've been pulled over, say so. If not, do not be defensive or sarcastic about it. Ask before you reach for anything. Be polite and direct. Don't offer more than you need to. Remember that a cop approaching a car has no idea what to expect, so be as forward as possible.

diecarmona

Smile, comply and act cool. Don't argue with the officer, treat him respectfully. Stay in your vehicle. All the usual things.

In a humorous note, I remember watching an interview with Dave Chapelle in which he was asked the same question and he answered with deadpan expression: "Be white!"

Profit5500

I have found it best to just smile and take the ticket without arguing anything. It makes the whole traffic stop better and faster. You can argue the ticket later in court to a much better degree and I have gotten out of several tickets this way. I have friends who get mad and give the officer hell, but really the guy is just doing his job.
I would just not give them hell either unless you want hell barking at your doorstep. I try to not argue with the officer since they knew you had done something wrong when you were in front of them. There are other circumstances like if the officer is the one who goes too far but that is a story.