I'm worried about passing PT

bmurphy389

I'm a big guy, around 250-260. I'm working out, losing some weight, I'm just naturally a big guy. I'm worried about passing PT. Were there some big guys in the police academy when you were there, how did they make out?

Kootzg

The bigger guys that were in my class seem to struggle, especially when it came to running and with the core test.

tbrannon44

You can do it, if you're really try hard. You should be training now before you get to the academy, so you have a good chance of making it through the fitness tests. Good luck.

Chris.oceguera

They usually give you a good amount of time to do the running, if you do some really fast walking and running sperts in between you'll make it in time. But you gonna have to lay off the donuts

mroman3

Just try your best. Dont worry about it because it'll only make you perform less. Play the part and you will have a higher chance.

Shawn

You need to find out exactly what they require in the PT exam. Then focus on mastering all of those discipline. For example, if they require 25 situps, 25 pushups and 1 1/2 mile run in 30 minutes - then focus on mastering each one, one a day. Then when you master one each day, do two a day and three a day up until you can do everything in one day and keep doing it in one day but be sure to throw some rest days in there as well. Not only will you likely pass the PT exam but you will likely lose some weight and get a lot stronger in the process.

If you are not a big runner, I suggest you check out the Couch-to-5K program. It is a great for beginner runners!

Ricardo187

As long as you can run and have enough strength to handle the weight of your body, you'll probably be good.

WhyLater

According to BMI estimations, you'd have to be a least 7 feet tall for 250 to be in a healthy weight range. Sure, body frame and amount of muscle adjusts that, but, assuming you're not an outlier, then 250 isn't "just being a big guy" - it's being overweight, or possibly even obese.

I bring this up to be honest with you, not to be mean. While in that state, they physical demands of the job will be difficult for you. But the good thing about being overweight is that you can always lose weight by adopting reasonable eating habits, complemented by exercise. Just working toward the PT requirements will be a great start; and the more you work at it, the easier it gets, because you'll be getting stronger and losing weight!

Long story short, be honest with yourself - your body is your domain, and you control it. This is all coming from a 5'10" guy who used to weigh 235. ;) Good luck!

davidj96

I recommend you try out the P90x workout plan. I tried it a few months ago to prepare for my IST and PFT and it helped me significantly. It'll slim you down and then build you back up with more muscle, or less, it just depends on what you want out of it. Anyways, good luck, I wish the best for you.

GemmaRowlands

Just because you are big does not mean that you are unfit, and this is something that will become apparent when you start to think of your fitness tests. As long as you are able to do everything just as well as the other people who are being tested, you should find that you are given a chance for the role that you are applying for. If you are trying to lose weight then this can only be a good thing, and if you fail the first time then you will always have the chance to apply again at a later date when your fitness levels have improved further.

Profit5500

Just stay fit and get started right away since you have to chase the crooks down if they committed a crime and start running. I would also change what I eat and if you can get to a gym and work with a trainer that should help too.