Jackie Chan has ignited controversy

I get what he's trying to do here but it's just ridiculous to say that.. how can you like when people lose their homes, their families and ultimately their lives .. for whatever reason you just cannot say that unless you're either a complete moron or a psychopath.

vhallmann

All of Hollywood mostly has really stupid things coming out of their mouth without a care of who might get hurt by it

bala

I am not amused..last year he ignited a much bigger controversy when he said "America was the most corrupt",seems like he loves being on the news for the wrong reasons.An attention whore maybe..?.
This time he was out of his senses to say "Countries need to be affected with natural disasters".This surely isn't the way a globally renowned actor conducts himself.He needs to think twice before he speaks out.

Ricardo187

I can actually get what he's trying to tell. He "likes" it not for the disaster but for the helping and humanity environment hat it causes afterwards. What happens after the disasters shows the beautiful side of humanity and that should happen on daily basis and not when a disaster happens.

It's like saying fire is beautiful, it is, sadly, it destroyes.

wulfman

meh dont know why these big name celebrities dont think before they speak . they know what they say is going to be analyzed and interpreted by millions

lalalola

I know that his main language is Chinese, second is English - could it be that it was translated weird or perhaps he worded it wrong? He seems like a genuine person who is interested in helping others.

Ricardo187

meh dont know why these big name celebrities dont think before they speak . they know what they say is going to be analyzed and interpreted by millions

He clearly knew it was going to be polemic when he says "I probably shouldn't say that", though, that also challenges any reader to see the message behind the text. Most of the times, a message can be interpretated in many ways, it all depends on the image you have of the person who wrote it and how genuine you think he is. I personally believe he meant the bright side of it, not the tragedy by itself.

Pretty sure this was taken out of context, it was a bad translation or he was put on the spot and just didn't think before talking. I wouldn't obsess over it. Jackie is pretty humble and nice and this is totally not in his style.

askanison

If you have ever seen any interviews with him you will notice he doesn't speak English fluently. I am thinking he meant to say that he likes when the world comes together to help a country after a disaster. I don't think anyone likes to see somewhere destroyed by nature.

Rob93FL

It's fairly obvious that he didn't mean any harm with that statement. I think people are acting way too offended by this.

ic3squid

Well, he's a good guy in general. It's just that sometimes people say the wrong things, and this is one of those things. I understand why he said that though.

Ricardo187

I've been debating about this matter with a lot of people and I think I came to a conclusion. He either worded it wrongly, or wanted to the message to be strong. When such a disaster happen, the world comes together in a way that it's superior to the negative happening. I think it's around that.

Determined2014

That is a big mess, what a thing to say, I have never seen someone who rejoices during a disaster, I guess he is seeking attention.

Vivat

Is everyone reacting to him, as if though you don't understand what miscommunication is? He's not saying that he likes the disaster itself, he says that he likes to see that after a disaster, that people come to help each other. He's not saying he LIKES those things to happen, he just appreciates that people don't hate each other no matter where they are (for the most part).

It's controversial to abuse what people say, and make it view grabbing.

Profit5500

Jackie Chan to me is only good for one thing and that is fight scenes in movies. Anything else he does is just disrespectful to some people. I just think he made such a bold comment there. How would anyone want to just get up and say something about tsunamis and tornadoes going into other countries and then the world would come and help. Oh wait that is right Jackie Chan is looking for trouble in the wrong places.