Jackie Chan has ignited controversy

Rob93FL

Jackie Chan to me is only good for one thing and that is fight scenes in movies. Anything else he does is just disrespectful to some people.

Seriously? Jackie Chan has done so many good things for this world. This forum isn't letting me post links, so just look up Jackie Chan on Wikipedia and click on the "philanthropy" section.

ItsZiggy

I think this was possibly not taken the way he meant it, I can't speak for him but I don't think he meant that he "enjoys" disasters so much as it makes him happy seeing people come together and help each other, and I for one agree with him, I also in a way enjoy seeing people work together.

Vivat

Jackie Chan to me is only good for one thing and that is fight scenes in movies. Anything else he does is just disrespectful to some people. I just think he made such a bold comment there. How would anyone want to just get up and say something about tsunamis and tornadoes going into other countries and then the world would come and help. Oh wait that is right Jackie Chan is looking for trouble in the wrong places.

I don't get how you can't understand what he was trying to carry across, and misconstrue it as him being some kind of sadistic bigshot. What else would he be implying about people coming about to help? If he wanted to make it hostile, he'd say that he likes tsunamis and tornadoes, not that he likes people helping out.

babyleans

Hollywood celebrities say pretty stupid stuff and i don't think any news network should ever report what they say or do because it's most likely stupid, irrelevant or just plain boring.

Catson

I'm sure he meant no ill-will. He said this with a sense of unity in mind. Besides, one can see countries cooperating in times of great stress. Take the Haitian earthquake for example, the US rushed to send relief overseas. Countries primarily focused on helping Haiti out. How about now? There isn't much help regarding them.

Profit5500

meh dont know why these big name celebrities dont think before they speak . they know what they say is going to be analyzed and interpreted by millions

Celebrities never do think about other people its in their egos. Jackie has been more of a attention grabber since he hasn't been in any big movies lately. When he was in the movie "The Monkey King" and had that fight scene with Jet Li that was awesome enough.

Profit5500

I don't get how you can't understand what he was trying to carry across, and misconstrue it as him being some kind of sadistic bigshot. What else would he be implying about people coming about to help? If he wanted to make it hostile, he'd say that he likes tsunamis and tornadoes, not that he likes people helping out.

It is not only what you say that causes conflict but how you say it. To him it may seem like he was being playful but to other folks it would sound rather offensive. I am sure you can assure that the media just wanted to see someone get caught on fire with no pants on. Tsunamis and tornadoes are not laughable even if they go into corrupt places.

Doulachic79

Attention whore galore. I understand what he is saying, and I will not agree with it. I do not share the same sentiment. This world needs to come together without needing a disaster. That is sad J.chan. Come on. We can do better than that.

Profit5500

Attention whore galore. I understand what he is saying, and I will not agree with it. I do not share the same sentiment. This world needs to come together without needing a disaster. That is sad J.chan. Come on. We can do better than that.
Yeah is a whore galore for saying that regardless from what other users are saying. He opened his mouth and said something bold. What would you expect when you do that especially when there are people who are viewing this.

madcat2k3

I just think it's being misread and/or he didn't say it the right way in which he meant it. I see where he's coming from, even though it was viewed as really offensive by others. Mr. Chan has done a lot for many charities, and people around the world. I think he just meant to say that he enjoys seeing the help someone gets in a disaster. On the whole that there are people still out there to help. I don't think he means that he enjoys them happening to begin with or the loss that takes place, but the fact that something good happens from it rather than nothing.

Dunkel

I think, like most of you, that was a huge foot in the mouth moment. I guess he could have phrased it differently. But at the end of the day, he is an amazing entertainer.
Below a present a brief video in which he demonstrates his ability for performance mixed with the superb martial art skills.
[video=youtube;hzsOcTp5it8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzsOcTp5it8[/video]

stevesxs9

I'm very disappointed in some of the remarks made by Jackie Chan. Obviously there are better solutions and methods that can used to bring about positive change in countries, besides having catastrophic events happen to them. He

really could have avoided this controversy.

Profit5500

I'm very disappointed in some of the remarks made by Jackie Chan. Obviously there are better solutions and methods that can used to bring about positive change in countries, besides having catastrophic events happen to them. He

really could have avoided this controversy.
Thats what I am thinking but some people don't see it that way. He is a great martial artist but he needs to be more careful with how he says things.

Dunkel

wikipedia article provided ItsZiggy said:
Chan founded the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation in 1988, to offers scholarship and active help to Hong Kong's young people and provide aid to victims of natural disaster or illness.[SUP][3][/SUP] In 2005 Chan created the Dragon's Heart Foundation to help children and the elderly in remote areas of China by building schools, providing books, fees, and uniforms for children.[SUP][144][/SUP] The foundation also provides for the elderly with donations of warm clothing, wheelchairs, and other items.

Ok, he won we over. He can say whatever he wants. He is literally putting "money where his mouth is".

Another example of Jackie Chan:

Jackie Chan's Son Will Get None Of His $130 Million Fortune, he said "If he is capable, he can make his own money. If he is not, then he will just be wasting my money." source: Jackie Chan's Son Will Get None Of His $130 Million Fortune | Celebrity Net Worth

The more I'm reading about Jackie Chan, the more I starting to like him.

dariel2323

That was his opinion, I respect it. He had his reasons for say it, he is a excellent person, actor, passive, and more. Jackie Chan has a very extensive and good repertoire.

kaitheteen

English isn't his best language, and if he did announce this in another language then there must have been some confusion in the translation. The difference between Eastern and Western culture make it so you think what he is saying right now is weird and offense, instead he has a different meaning he is trying to depict.

headmaster

That is a horrible thing for him to say, especially when he is in the position to live anywhere he wants to. Saying so is trying to say that unless you actually saw people doing acts of kindness, then it did not exist so we needed disasters to prove that human beings can be good towards others. He might as well say that people should get cancer more often so that more people feel sorry for them and show them 'love', proving that there is goodness around.

Hopefully he will not regret saying that one day.

Whitewolf2578

I don't believe he said it like that, he can barely speak English. More like "I like country to have disaster, like tsunami. It go boom and den world discovered. Make happy." I hope the reporter slapped him in the face.