Legalize Prostitution?

Rhoda D'Ettore

I seriously believe prostitution should be legalized, regulated, and taxed. In the event it is legal, facilities could be set up which put the ladies in sheltered and protected situations. This would eliminate the need for pimps and any abuse. Secondly, condoms would be required, reducing the amount of diseases that are spread. Third, without pimps taking most of their money, the women would be making a lot more money and drug use would be down because the job would not be considered "raunchy". In addition to that, we can collect federal taxes from the women and the facilities as corporations, and sales tax for the state. To me this is a winner all the way around.

What are your thoughts?

Gelsemium

I see this as a moral issue, is it ok to pay for sex? Legalizing prostitution would be to agree on this, and the state would become the pimp?

Muthoni

Maybe legalizing prostitution would actually reduce it over time. Most people enjoy doing something illegal to see how far they can get away with. Legalizing prostitution removes the thrill that prompts them to engage in it. Most prostitutes will not like this system because they have to come out in the open. Some are married woman who do this to provide food on the table for their families.

Gin0710

I seriously believe prostitution should be legalized, regulated, and taxed. In the event it is legal, facilities could be set up which put the ladies in sheltered and protected situations. This would eliminate the need for pimps and any abuse. Secondly, condoms would be required, reducing the amount of diseases that are spread. Third, without pimps taking most of their money, the women would be making a lot more money and drug use would be down because the job would not be considered "raunchy". In addition to that, we can collect federal taxes from the women and the facilities as corporations, and sales tax for the state. To me this is a winner all the way around.

What are your thoughts?

I fully agree with you. That way, girls who are being pimped out by 30 year old men can get help getting the guy busted, rather than going to jail herself. I also think it will help eliminate the sex trade and make it easier to catch people participating in the sex slavery. I know a lot of people have qualms about prostitution and how it encourages other bad things, but if you regulate and even connect it with a program that allows women to get out of the sex industry, it could be very useful and helpful. Or if there are women who enjoy it, they don't have to feel ashamed of it and can do it safely.

askanison

That will never happen state wide. Women and feminists would throw a hissy fit. Marriage rates would plummet and divorces would rise to an all time high. Why put up with a woman nagging you when you can go get what you want and need anytime you want, then go home worry free. It would be better for the sex workers though. They would have access to regular medical care and be much healthier and safer. I just don't ever see that coming about though here in the US.

headmaster

Its the same way I feel about drugs like marijuana. Prostitution should be legalized and regulated. There would be far less crime related to this vices and less pain and suffering.

bala

i too have to agree on this because it has been giving too many problems with the diseases it brings.Legalizing would help curb on these diseases,but i can't think of countries that have done it having positive results.Basically the change has to come from within.

Patrick

Legalizing this can provide better protection of the women involved, they can approach the authorities for help if they face violence or extortion. Also, they can be regularly screened for STDs, preventing their spread. Minors would also technically be prevented from entering the business, but depending on the extent of regulation there might be a hidden black market emerging.

Rhoda D'Ettore

One of the posts above said that it is a moral dilemma. But whose morals? Who gets to decide there is no one getting hurt?

I seriously think if the states put this to a vote, it might just pass. Think about it. The states could collect licensing fees and other registrations. This could be a landmine if it is done right.

GlacialDoom

While paying for sex isn't morally right, it would be way better for prostitution to be legalized.

This way, the government could control the widespread of STD's, hookers being forced to have certificates that they're clean and stuff.

Teens In Crisis

Here are my thoughts on the subject:
1. Who said it's not morally right? What if you're single? What if you're disabled? What if you're a gigantic douche who can't meet people who want to bang you? Who says it's not morally right for them to do it? They're not cheating in the case described, and it's monitored and regulated so they are not exploiting anything other than someones desire to make mad duckets.
2 It's naive to think that it would "end" pimps, std's, illegal street walking, etc... People will still do it. They might do it less. "Workers" might do it because they have diseases. Pimps are still going to exploit people that they can get away with exploiting.
3. I don't think marriage would really suffer, or that divorce would skyrocket. I imagine that a sexually frustrated spouse would be able to tolerate a lot more bullshit at home if he could stop on the way home and get a hummer without worrying about the fuzz. Cheating and all that stuff is still an issue, yes... but a hooker isn't about to call your wife when she's pissed, like an angry side piece would.

bala

Here are my thoughts on the subject:
1. Who said it's not morally right? What if you're single? What if you're disabled? What if you're a gigantic douche who can't meet people who want to bang you? Who says it's not morally right for them to do it? They're not cheating in the case described, and it's monitored and regulated so they are not exploiting anything other than someones desire to make mad duckets.
2 It's naive to think that it would "end" pimps, std's, illegal street walking, etc... People will still do it. They might do it less. "Workers" might do it because they have diseases. Pimps are still going to exploit people that they can get away with exploiting.
3. I don't think marriage would really suffer, or that divorce would skyrocket. I imagine that a sexually frustrated spouse would be able to tolerate a lot more bullshit at home if he could stop on the way home and get a hummer without worrying about the fuzz. Cheating and all that stuff is still an issue, yes... but a hooker isn't about to call your wife when she's pissed, like an angry side piece would.
To be brutally honest..i thought this was a crappy post after reading it on the go and a quick overview but only later did i realize this does make sense.
Well actually legalizing might help in curbing STD's because you are monitored all the time and the risk too is quite low.

Onionman

This is an incredibly divisive topic. I can see the argument from the economics and safety perspective. But with all vice issues it's about the morality as well. Simply because it's legal doesn't mean I would be happy for any daughter of mine to become one.

bala

While paying for sex isn't morally right, it would be way better for prostitution to be legalized.

This way, the government could control the widespread of STD's, hookers being forced to have certificates that they're clean and stuff.
Exactly bro..well at least this can be a conclusion of sorts for this discussion because it sometimes becomes awkward to discuss this.
Too much of this does have an impact and i am starting to think differently.

dolittle94

It's called a brothel, and while they are not common there are some that can indeed be found here in America. As for legalized street prostitution, I don't think that would be such a good idea. How many pimps and prostitutes do you know are going to adhere to those conditions when some of them can get away with it anyway with out having to pay the government anything.

Gin0710

This is an incredibly divisive topic. I can see the argument from the economics and safety perspective. But with all vice issues it's about the morality as well. Simply because it's legal doesn't mean I would be happy for any daughter of mine to become one.

Here's a tip from a daughter. Don't make her feel like she will never be good enough for anything else but that. I mean I know there are women who enjoy it and enjoy making the money, but there are also women who do it because they think that's all they have to offer.

dariel2323

I don't see much problem if everything is legalized and controlled so as to avoid diseases and all these bad things. Prostitution always exists and excite irresponsibly, so if that can be changed so that it can be legal and responsible welcome.

Profit5500

I see this as a moral issue, is it ok to pay for sex? Legalizing prostitution would be to agree on this, and the state would become the pimp?
I think that what Rhoda is talking about is that is if we legalize prostitution then we can reduce the amount of abuse that goes on with illegal prostitution. It would mean that we would be able to have better healthcare for the prostitutes. Better healthcare would mean that we could help these women in healthy condition so they would stay away from pimps from the streets. I can see that some people think that we should not legalize prostitution. If we continue to live in the world where prostitution is supposed to be illegal then we would not be able to save these women. If we legalize it then it would be less girls having a criminal record and getting out only to be snatched back by the same pimp who wants them. So I do not think that we should still assume that keeping prostitution as a criminal act its just not working. Hopefully that system could really change I know I may sound a bit crazy but legalizing it could make things a bit better for the penal system.

Josie

Here, selling sex isn't illegal, but purchasing it is lol. I say, hands off! Nobody owns a woman's body but herself. Nobody can tell a man who he can and cannot have sex with. No other person's morals should dictate what I am allowed to do. No, I don't prostitute lol.. but if I wanted to, why should your beliefs trump mine because you look at sex differently than I do? No government should decide what is moral or not.

Some things, we all agree on. Murder, rape, theft etc etc. But sex? I don't agree with most people on this. Sex is not just about procreation or love or intimacy. Sometimes it's just sex. Sometimes it's about connection when you can't get it anywhere else. Sometimes it's just about fun. Who is anyone to tell someone they can't have sex with another consenting adult??

Just ridiculous. These women and men need security and safety. Our governments need to get off their power hungry, high horses and leave us alone. If you don't like prostitutes, don't sleep with them! Easy peasy lol.. next!

JoanMcWench

Looking at the way things are handled now you really have to consider legalization a viable option. How is prosecuting these women helping them in any way? It doesn't change their behaviour & it doesn't help them quit the drugs that may contribute to said behaviour. I understand trying to combat the pimp atmosphere & women being taken advantage of but that doesn't mean arresting them is helping in any way.